IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Yes but...
Perl is *SO MUCH* faster than Java on equivalent hardware with similar loads.

Heck, we use a Java Data Warehouse Reporting tool. It sucks.

We have made it into a "Presentation only" tool. We can do the same report data extraction with Perl and Shell on 6 year old hardware in 1/10th the time and passing fully populated short-term/temporary tables to the "tool" to render the "PDF" or "XLS" or what have you, than if the whole thing with was done almost brand new hardware withe the "tool".

Yes, its true, if you want faster clustered performance out of Java, just add more cores/processors and memory. But the point is, I can get nearly 90% more work done on older hardware not using Java.

No to mention, start-up loading times for Java *really* blow on new hardware. Worse than the time does for even the BIGGEST Perl programs we have on 6 year old hardware.

Its hard to believe that Intel and AMD doesn't praise Oracle (formerly Sun) for making Java such a pig!
New Re: Yes but...
Perl's a maintenance horror.

Java, less so.

If I save £20K on hardware but burn through an additional £50K in software maintenance (easily done), I'm £30K down; for all but the most performance-critical applications, no one upstairs is going to care that it's OMG FAST!!, they're just going to extract my gonads for overspending.

My experience is that, for a bespoke system with (say) a five year lifespan with software maintenance (not just bugfixes, but features and stuff) included, hardware is 10% or thereabouts of the total cost.
New We aren't experiencing...
Maintenance horrors. Its only because you can't find good Perl coders. Sucks to be you.

We write maintainable Perl. Even the stuff 10 years old is still easily maintainable, a bit archaic, but easy to maintain.

And you are talking different budgets and types of expenditures. Capital Expenditures are typically horribly hard to push through and justify. If you've got wetware already working... its easy to have them fix it.

Though, you don't have good (as in real ones not "think I am") Perl programmers.
New You are confusing two things:
Java the language vs. poorly written Java programs.

Straight out, Java is considerably faster than Perl. For maintenance, with similarly skilled developers, Java is better than Perl. Hell, Python is faster than Perl, and significantly easier to maintain as well.

For startup, well, Java isn't meant to be run as a short-run script like Perl. Startup time doesn't matter for anything other than a script that runs in an amount of time similar to startup time, after all. For batch processing, long-running server processes, and other such programs it simply doesn't matter.

Incidentally, if you're talking about Pentaho then yes, it really truly sucks. Don't use it. I'll add, however, that general reporting tools are usually slower than custom-built scripts. The former might not need a programmer involved, however, and the latter definitely does.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
     Lisp or Smalltalk or something else? - (crazy) - (28)
         Dunno. But on the perl stuff... - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Oh, he schemed - (crazy)
         #2 == Squeak - (folkert)
         Re: Lisp or Smalltalk or something else? - (malraux)
         squeek is interesting but dunno how marketable - (boxley) - (23)
             Ruby and financial companies - (malraux) - (22)
                 they use the mq for messaging -NT - (boxley) - (21)
                     You mean Perl MQ? - (folkert) - (1)
                         no - (boxley)
                     Yeah, but Ruby? - (malraux) - (18)
                         slow vs faster dev time? -NT - (boxley) - (7)
                             Does it really matter? - (folkert) - (5)
                                 Nope - (malraux) - (3)
                                     Agreed - (crazy) - (2)
                                         I with I did know lithp. - (pwhysall)
                                         I've done LISP - (malraux)
                                 Depends on the industry - (drook)
                             Not in the financial world - (malraux)
                         I seem to recall - (S1mon_Jester) - (9)
                             Re: I seem to recall - (pwhysall) - (4)
                                 Yes but... - (folkert) - (3)
                                     Re: Yes but... - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                         We aren't experiencing... - (folkert)
                                     You are confusing two things: - (malraux)
                             And they're working on it - (malraux) - (3)
                                 Now that is... - (folkert) - (2)
                                     Re: Now that is... - (malraux) - (1)
                                         Damn straight - (crazy)

Fear the rubberwear.
110 ms