IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Religion and drugs?
How is drug use by the religious hypocrisy? Last I heard, the largest single faith group in the USA is my own Catholic church. And while there are rules in that church designed to reduce church-state friction (we are supposed to follow civil laws unless we have a pretty good reason not to) that would make the use of illegal drugs indirectly against church teachings, there is nothing against moderate alcohol consumption. In fact, it is sacrementaly encouraged, and not just in church. If bread and wine weren't considered normal food and drink, the Mass would lose a certain degree of meaning. If cannabis were legal, there would be no Catholic objection to smoking it in moderation. Ruining your health and life is against the rules, though, so the occasional sermon against drunkeness happens in some parishes.

Catholics are allowed to drink and gamble and dance. And that annoys some of the Protestants.
White guys in suits know best
- Pat McCurdy
New Common thread was (meant to be)
Hypocrisy. Religion, drug use - are comparable in numbers of practitioners (?) Most religions preach reasonably er 'sane' approaches to the vicissitudes of life: note the % of 'believers' who aren't so good at acting out those beliefs.

Ditto re drugs: moderation.. that idea overlaps both categories also.
But The Law has a rilly bad time with the concept of 'moderation', y'know? (A microgram of an Evul substance in that spectrophotometer search of your car: is admissible as "something").

Be nice if the Catholic Church would spend as much energy and emotion in support of such simple ideas as - Not sending folks to jail for 30+ years for marijuana usage - as they spend trying to torpedo globally: even birth control! (never mind abortion even). Oh, as to hypocrisy - haven't seen numbers lately of the % of Catholics using birth control. Either. Nothing IS simple, is it?

And so it goes. Drugs, religion, sex - homo-sap be the Kwaziest species yet! (far as we know, o'course ;-)

A.
New Sentient LRPD strikes! Again.
I'm sorry, I came here for an argument!

Spirits are everywhen..

Cackle.. Cackle..
New Catholicism and birth control
Where do you think I got my overdeveloped perspective on scofflaws?

White guys in suits know best
- Pat McCurdy
New Cackle.. Cackle.. :-\ufffd
Yeah.. feel ~ same way about 'stuff I know better than to ___'
(And Oneself can be a more daunting figure than ol' John Paul.. though maybe not so daunting as to - make the next faux pas ?? - in front of, John XXIII !)

PS - did 'we' all ever get That situation sorted out for all time? I read some books, but of course the real actors aren't talking. As usual. Likely never will - even in the archives?

I tended to think of him as the kinda guy depicted by - sadly, the now late :[ - Anthony Quinn in, Shoes of the Fisherman. Was he just too bloody Good to survive the bureaucracy. For long enough.. ?? {sigh}

Cheers,

I.
(..only rarely present, as Ashton is somehow eluding.. er doing Good and stuff ;-)
     Revisiting the drug legalization issue - (DonRichards) - (9)
         The Economist article is a good read. - (Another Scott) - (6)
             The topic appears to be a litmus for, - (Ashton) - (5)
                 Religion and drugs? - (mhuber) - (4)
                     Common thread was (meant to be) - (Ashton) - (3)
                         Sentient LRPD strikes! Again. - (Ashton)
                         Catholicism and birth control - (mhuber) - (1)
                             Cackle.. Cackle.. :-\ufffd - (Ashton)
         Comment from a swiss. - (static) - (1)
             The Swiss also have a "Five Hundred Year Plan" - (Ashton)

Duuuude...?
64 ms