IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I can Siri clearly now...
actually, I cant. I don't own a cellphone and have no intention of starting with an iPhone 4S. That said, though, I find this first consumer-level iteration of AI at such a level of sophistication both gratifying and surprising. I'd long thought it would get here, but if you'd asked me in 2001 (glum at HAL's non-arrival) I would have predicted this kind of tech to arrive in 2020.

At this point I still don't think that HAL will be here by 2020, but I'm going to go out on a limb (rather than an EVA) and predict that there will be extraordinarily sophisticated clusters of automated subroutines in place by then that will pass the Turing Test as this is today understood—because jealous humans will always uproot those goalposts and stagger downfield with them—and that these agglomerations of code will still accomplish feats of apparent language processing without anything we'd identify as an actual thought flickering in their registers. But I'm inclined to believe that by 2040 computer sentience will be recognized, and in retrospect.

cordially,
New There are already programs passing the Turing test
In that they are suspected of being human more or as often as real humans are when tested with a classical Turing test.

As far as being actually useful, though, no. Just convincing someone you're human, it turns out, isn't actually the same thing as being capable of rational thought.

There's a lesson in there somewhere...
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Turing our lifetimes
Just convincing someone you're human, it turns out, isn't actually the same thing as being capable of rational thought.

I was under the impression that this premise had been universally demonstrated during a 96-month test period concluding on 20 January 2009.

cordially,
New Woot! :-)
New heh, btw who is your congress criiter?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New Re: heh, btw who is your congress criiter?
My congresscritter is Barbara Lee, and while I'm a little allergic to some of her lefty pieties, I honor her sole dissenting vote against the so-called "Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Terrorists," which was one of the Cheney Shogunate's jumping off-points for a whole raft of evils to follow—but this is properly a discussion for another forum.

cordially,
New a prediction
I think AI is going to creep up on us while we’re still laughing at it (by phrasing it so I do not intend to impute to AI a sinister intentional stance), and that we’ll have been conversing with the cloud, chuckling the while at the cleverness of the canned responses, for a few years before it begins to dawn on the technorati that emergent behavior on the world’s servers has coalesced into someone home at the other end. A colleague today suggested that this would happen in half a century. I’m going to say 2030 (with the sirisingularity having come about three to five years earlier), and expect to be called out some years before that for my pessimism.

cordially,
New IOW, a Forbin Experiment?
New More like this
"Dial F for Frankenstein": http://www.epubbud.c...hp?g=JYQM4VXP&p=5

But I don't expect it to be all-at-once, or hostile.

cordially,
New It's quite slick
A few examples. I find that adding new calendar events with Siri is much faster than doing it manually.
http://spiceware.org/gallery/siri

and it has a fun sense of humor. I was showing it to somebody the other day and asked "What's the weather going to be tomorrow?" He started talking when I did and Siri misunderstood our overlapped speech to be "what's <some company> going to be tomorrow?" It brought up the current stock price and say "now Darrell, even I can't tell what the future will bring".

I tried the popular "Beam me up" and it asked "WiFi or 3G?"

other screenshots of fun responses
http://shitthatsirisays.tumblr.com/
New Re: It's quite slick
http://iwt.mikevital....iwt?postid=52431

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from."

-- E.L. Doctorow
New guess Siri's not a "morning person"
One of my friends posted this last night

http://twitter.com/#...767109632/photo/1
New :-)
New Siri might hang with the Hottentots..
http://www.rawstory....d-of-an-abortion/

Ask the Siri, the new iPhone 4 assistant, where to get an abortion, and, if you happen to be in Washington, D.C., she won’t direct you to the Planned Parenthood on 16th St, NW. Instead, she’ll suggest you pay a visit to the 1st Choice Women’s Health Center, an anti-abortion Crisis Pregnancy Center (CPC) in Landsdowne, Virginia, or Human Life Services, a CPC in York, Pennsylvania. Ask Google the same question, and you’ll get ads for no less than 7 metro-area abortion clinics, 2 CPCs and a nationwide abortion referral service.

Ask in New York City, and Siri will tell you “I didn’t find any abortion clinics.”

It’s an experience that’s being replicated by women around the country: despite plentiful online information about actual places to get an abortion, Siri doesn’t seem to provide it. It’s a similar experience for women seeking emergency contraception: in New York City, Siri doesn’t know what Plan B is and, asked for emergency contraception, offers up a Google results page of definitions.

[. . .]

UPDATE: Reader Kristen asked Siri “Why are you anti-abortion?” and she answered “I just am, Kristen.”

AI morphs --> AC? (Artificial Cant.)

I can Siri clearly now... - (rcareaga) - (15)
         There are already programs passing the Turing test - (malraux) - (4)
             Turing our lifetimes - (rcareaga) - (3)
                 Woot! :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                 heh, btw who is your congress criiter? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                     Re: heh, btw who is your congress criiter? - (rcareaga)
         a prediction - (rcareaga) - (2)
             IOW, a Forbin Experiment? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                 More like this - (rcareaga)
         It's quite slick - (SpiceWare) - (5)
             Let's put some of those in order - (drook)
             Re: It's quite slick - (lincoln)
             guess Siri's not a "morning person" - (SpiceWare)
             fun responses when the 3G connection is wonky - (SpiceWare) - (1)
                 :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
         Siri might hang with the Hottentots.. - (Ashton)

Then again you wonder how certain people sign their names to anything and still choose to leave the house.
143 ms