IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New PostgreSQL ODBC question.
Man, when things begin to suck, they really begin to suck. We have SAP/Business Objects here. Our back-ends are all either PostgreSQL or PostgreSQL Advanced Server (from EnterpriseDB). The problem is that we have both Business Objects and Data Services (formerly Data Integrator) and only Business Objects supports PostgreSQL (nominally anyway) and Data Services does not. Except that Data Services supports ODBC connectivity to databases when fully compliant ODBC Level II drivers are used. They recommended Progress software's DataDirect PostgreSQL ODBC driver. In order to use that on our BO/DS hosts, there's a 5K/core license fee. At minimum we'd need 60K in ODBC driver licenses. The biz won't go for that. So, I'm supposed to look for a solution. I did recommend we use what every single BO Rep/Partner/even a BO VP recommended - that we use MS Sql Server for the SAP/BO stuff. That, too, is a no go here. (Aside: I don't want any grief about recommending the Beast's db server. BO loves MS Sql Server and no other back-end works well with it. It's support for IBM DB2 UDB also blows huge chunks. I'm all about using what works. If I'd had any say in this, we'd use Pentaho which works perfectly well with PostgreSQL back-ends).

So, I am in search of an ODBC driver for PostgreSQL that has full ODBC Level II compliance. The open source drivers I've tried are Level I only and we've talked to the guys at EnterpriseDB and there is virtually no interest in getting their Level I driver to Level II. Aside from the Progress offering, does anyone know of another Level II ODBC driver for PostgreSQL.

Any help appreciated.
---
bcnu,
Mikem
New Nevermind.
I think I found one. Anybody got any experience with this?

http://uda.openlinksw.com/odbc-postgres/
New Long ago and far away
I had to deal with the same crap.

3rd part application was the requirement, and SQL/Server was the default, but if we got a certain ODBC driver all would be supported. It didn't matter. The program still blew up.

But that was a LONG time ago.

This company's drivers was one of the better ones to deal with. But EVERYTHING still needed to be tested.

If you have a serious grind through test suite, use it. If not, get it from SAP, don't bet your job on it working, make them certify it.

You don't want to be in the middle of "month-end" processing only to find out it doesn't work in your special case.
New Re: PostgreSQL ODBC question.
BO loves MS Sql Server and no other back-end works well with it.

Any references for that with respect to Oracle?
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Doesn't matter
At least I doubt it.

Price differential is kinda large.

And in the past, when I was doing essentially the same test, even though they CLAIMED it was ODBC compliant, they had a lot of MS specific stuff in that showed up during the tests. We had to pay the vendor in each case to fix the variance from the standard they claimed to adhere to.
New It does to me
Since we already have Oracle...
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Just hearsay.
The Tier I BO consultants have all told us that we should be using MS Sql Server. And I was in a phone conference with a VP at BO (prior to the SAP acquisition). He was promoting switching back-ends to MS Sql Server to my then boss who brought the BO horror show in here. As best I can recall, he asked, "How much market share does Microsoft Sql Server have? Which one do you think we're going to support first?" (Rhetorically of course). The only first-hand experience I have with BO and commercial databases are MS Sql Server and IBM DB2 UDB. We ended up using PostgreSQL for this because it actually worked better than IBM DB2 UDB after months of trying and DB2 being on the official "Supported" list.

I do know that Cleveland Hospital (an Oracle shop) dumps data to an MS Sql Server farm for their Business Objects stuff. I figure there's got to be a reason why the do that.

PostgreSQL ODBC question. - (mmoffitt) - (6)
         Nevermind. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
             Long ago and far away - (crazy)
         Re: PostgreSQL ODBC question. - (malraux) - (3)
             Doesn't matter - (crazy) - (2)
                 It does to me - (malraux) - (1)
                     Just hearsay. - (mmoffitt)

Where's the pick-a-nick bas-ket?
93 ms