IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: same here but the mail interface is gag, vomit and scat
regardless of the interface to the cloud, I have 6T of local storage...moving that will be a tad prohibitive. Google's reasoning may be on target for some users, but not all. I'm not going wholesale to the cloud any time soon.
Sure, understanding today's complex world of the future is a little like having bees live in your head. But...there they are.
New Isn't 90% of that music?
As wonderful (really, supporting you here) as Google desktop is/was, you aren't searching within songs, right? Or does it do that too?
New Re: Isn't 90% of that music?
Audio, video, photographs, all email since migrating to outlook (work and personal), about 15 yrs of work files...from size perspective is the music and the movies...by file count its probably the work related files.
Sure, understanding today's complex world of the future is a little like having bees live in your head. But...there they are.
New Re: Isn't 90% of that music?
I have 6G of work email, and that's just the stuff that's on my PC. There's probably another 100G on the Exchange server in the shared folders.

If Google Apps fits, then that's cool, but it's woefully inadequate for any kind of serious document or spreadsheet work. And, of course, doesn't support things like DWG at all (we do a fair amount of CAD work).

New That's why there are document management systems
like Docushare (that's a cheap one) http://docushare.xerox.com/.

Not saying you need it, but eons ago most companies I worked for prohibited large Exchange file shares and forced us to use the DMS for any significant "work in progress" and then "historical" docs.

Something tells me others simply kept their stuff in email.
New Makes you wonder about the Exchange programmers.
I remember various versions of Exchange over the years with limits of storage that were a bit too easy for even moderate sized companies to hit, requiring multiple servers and all the pain that goes with that. IMAP on Maildir scales far easier, though you lose other features.

Wade.
Static Scribblings http://staticsan.blogspot.com/
New Is it beneficial to split it?
I have X amount of what I'd consider entertainment bytes. These are never changed, and rarely accessed, and never for work. I could make a couple of copies on a couple of disks and feel safe.

Then I've got Y amount of work/education/social sharing/want always available bytes.

In my case, those bytes are only around 20GB. Cloudable. By I can see others who need to track through many generations of emailed back and forth documents, including attached powerpoint and other stuff. That grows huge.

So, #1, can you split it, and #2, will it still be too big (or poorly searched), or sensitive (yeah, most people forget sensitive should not go on the cloud), which means it still doesn't matter and doesn't work for you anyway.
     Google kills Google Desktop. - (Another Scott) - (22)
         Major bummer -NT - (beepster) - (19)
             Switch to Linux... - (folkert) - (18)
                 No - (crazy)
                 The beauty of google desktop - (beepster) - (16)
                     Vista and 7 search into Outlook. - (pwhysall)
                     This is why we have Google Mail for work... - (folkert) - (14)
                         Re: This is why we have Google Mail for work... - (pwhysall) - (13)
                             Re: This is why we have Google Mail for work... - (folkert) - (12)
                                 same here but the mail interface is gag, vomit and scat -NT - (boxley) - (11)
                                     Re: same here but the mail interface is gag, vomit and scat - (folkert) - (10)
                                         Re: same here but the mail interface is gag, vomit and scat - (beepster) - (6)
                                             Isn't 90% of that music? - (crazy) - (5)
                                                 Re: Isn't 90% of that music? - (beepster) - (4)
                                                     Re: Isn't 90% of that music? - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                         That's why there are document management systems - (crazy) - (1)
                                                             Makes you wonder about the Exchange programmers. - (static)
                                                     Is it beneficial to split it? - (crazy)
                                         Re: same here but the mail interface is gag, vomit and scat - (boxley) - (2)
                                             Settings -> Themes -> Candy. HTH! ;-) -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                 Re: Settings -> Themes -> Desktop, thank you! -NT - (boxley)
         Giving Locate32 a shot. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Back to Google Desktop. - (Another Scott)

Halfway between the gutter and the stars.
67 ms