IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I guess we're in different worlds.
I don't have very much (note: not "none") experience of SMEs, but I am involved in the volume licensing for a reasonably large company.

We turn over versions very slowly. We're just about migrating our desktops from NT to 2000. Office is changing version from 97 to XP, and that won't complete for a long time.

I think we're really not interested in something that would involve a regular, not-driven-by-the-business payment to MS.

Maybe we're atypical. From my conversations with peers in other companies of similar size, I don't think we are.

Perhaps it's different across the pond.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New The world I see is . .
. . more the interface among companies than the internal workings of a large company. Many of the companies I work with are so shallow there really is no "internal". All systems face customers, partners, vendors, and their own outside sales reps. This is common with wholesalers, importers, small manufacturers, professional organizations and the like.

When a customer (who is often much larger) says "this is how you will communicate with us", then that's exactly the way you communicate with them. If this happens to be EDI, then you contract with an EDI service. If it means upgrading to Office XP, you do that. If it's .NET, then .NET is what you use.

I think many companies will start by using this stuff for their own outside staff and branch offices, for which it looks very attractive. Then they'll start insisting partners and vendors use their established communications methods.

The process will be accelerated by basic service being very low cost - and it will stay low cost - but more and more "add-on" services will become more and more necessary to use the system effectively. These will be bundled and unbundled and rebundled constantly, with ever changing costs - and always "in response to customer demand".

The fact that a bunch of big company IS departments are dragging their feet on upgrading internal systems becomes less and less important in the overall picture.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Heads up...
We've just completed doing that and sadly, undoing some of it. Office XP does not like any of the Decision Tools add-ins (ie. @Risk add-in). As well, it doesn't play with Maple or SPSS add in/ plugins... We've had to redo our core image with Office 2001... If you have extensive macros (read VB for Office), you should test them as well.

We just finished tything to MS (Campus licensing agreement) for another year, so what Andrew is saying rings true for me... YMMV.
Just a few thoughts,

Screamer

"I'll tip my hat to the new constitution, take a bow for the new revolution, smile and grin at the change all around, pick up my guitar and play, just like yesterday..."

P. Townshend

"Nietzsche has an S in it"
Celina Jones
     An interesting file... - (inthane-chan) - (17)
         ugh. -NT - (Steve Lowe)
         fell asleep trying to watch it all the way to the end - (boxley)
         The scariest part - it may actually work. -NT - (Arkadiy)
         Yes, this is what they've been saying they would do. - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
             Disagree - (pwhysall) - (5)
                 Disagree back at you - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                     I guess we're in different worlds. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                         The world I see is . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                         Heads up... - (screamer)
                     My SB experience is that the 'extras' don't get used much - (tonytib)
         Hmmm... - (admin)
         Hmmmm....Sounds sorta like Lotus Notes - (jb4) - (2)
             Difference being... In Notes, *you* own the *server*, right? -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                 Yeppir! - (jb4)
         OK, I couldn't let this thing lie . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
             Very well done but who's the scary lookin dude in the tie? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                 That's my evil twin - (Andrew Grygus)

Supercalifragilisticexshpialadocious.
80 ms