IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Sounds like whining.
APIs and tools help you get things done that you could not possibly have the time to code from hand.

Having worked at a place where everything was done by hand, there is a serious price to pay down the line for the organization. Sure, it's possibly not as cool and interesting and intellectually satisfying for the programmer, but you're a business programmer. Get used to it, or find another job. If you want creativity and fun and zoomy toys and such then go get a job making just over minimum wage programming games.

Incidentally, any architect that doesn't consider who's doing the work when picking the tools, and who starts changing things half way through because he found a new one, is an idiot and not really an architect in my opinion. On the other hand, you're going to have to learn new things to stay in the business. Deal with it. The things people used to write web applications 8 years ago are no longer relevant. My productivity (functionality to time ratio) is an order of magnitude higher using something like Ext JS over hand coding raw HTML and Javascript.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Yeah, that was my impression too. But it was funny. :-)
New What got me:
I've heard of/used some of the things mentioned (like slf4j). Dude. It's a helper library for application logging. You don't actually have to do anything with it once it's configured. He makes it sound like there's some godawful month long learning curve.

I'm sorry, if you can't pick up a simple logging library over the space of an hour or so then you're in the wrong business. Of course, in my experience there are a lot of people in this business who are in the wrong business.

And while I'm ranting, you can usually tell the UIs that didn't use a tool because they look and work like garbage (read: like a programmer designed the UI -- we have a style group for good reasons). :-)
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New I quite agree.
My manager and I had a talk about this in my last performance review. He and I are both old-school: we know how to build it ourselves and it will probably work right. But the modern way is to look around for tools and libraries.

Case in point: we need faceted search. I had a brainwave one morning about how we could do it ourselves and wrote it down. But Solr can do it, too, and with the whole company looking for a replacement for FAST, someone (I was busy on other things) was given carte-blanche to see if we could use Solr. And we will.

I've noticed that modern development environments are like that. Most of the tricky stuff is in readily usable libraries. You don't have to be an amazing programmer to do good stuff in Java; you just have to be adequate. This is good because there are a lot more adequate programmers around than there are amazing ones or even just good ones. PHP with no framework needs a lot more Amazing or you get shit (admittedly, shit that works enough of the time). Java makes it harder to do that. This is all why my colleague said he hadn't had to do any advanced algorithms recently. And he's right. If he wanted to do that, he's in the wrong job.

Wade.
Static Scribblings http://staticsan.blogspot.com/
     cleek: I've had this job. - (Another Scott) - (5)
         Sounds like whining. - (malraux) - (3)
             Yeah, that was my impression too. But it was funny. :-) -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 What got me: - (malraux)
             I quite agree. - (static)
         Ahh yes - (crazy)

What's your vector, Victor?
70 ms