IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Sad news: Poul Anderson, rest in peace
From the "official" announcement:

Poul Anderson died at home near midnight, Tuesday July 31, 2001. He had come home that day to receive hospice care after kidney failure brought on by prostate cancer.

His last day was spent with family and friends. He enjoyed his final meals, and especially a Jubilaeum akvavit and Carlsberg beer.

He was pleased and warmed by the many e-mails he received from friends and strangers around the world who had been touched by his writing.

Special thanks go to Diana Paxson, Geoff Kidd, and Gerry Nordley, who helped greatly in his homecoming.

A memorial gathering is planned for 2pm, Saturday, August 4 at the First Unitarian Church of Oakland, 685 14th Street, Oakland.

Anderson never quite gained the stature of a Heinlein or Asimov, but he wrote many entertaining and good science fiction and fantasy books.
French Zombies are zapping me with lasers!
New Bummer, "High Crusade" one of my favs
New :( Another one gone.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait

• Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
New "Never quite gained the stature" - But he came *this* close!
One of the all-time greats, the gang very next below the Three Great ones, IMO. (And how much longer is Clarke going to be around???)

The latest work of Anderson's I read was _Virgin Planet_, from 1956 and definitely dated (mainly in its attitudes on gender roles) -- still a romping funny read, tough! :-)

But still, goes to show he had a *looong* and distinguished career.
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
     Sad news: Poul Anderson, rest in peace - (wharris2) - (3)
         Bummer, "High Crusade" one of my favs -NT - (bbronson)
         :( Another one gone. -NT - (imric)
         "Never quite gained the stature" - But he came *this* close! - (CRConrad)

So does a burning bus.
222 ms