IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New How to teach perl
1st, get someone interested.

If their job includes anything repetitive on the computer, it's a start.

Then, show them a web based tutorial. Give them a few days over going of the tutorial, along with a few example programs.

Get the email from work about the program just written.

Feel so proud.

He comes home, tells me how much someone annoyed him at work. Same guy annoyed me for years. He tells me he's documented everything the guy does, and is sure
that the guy can be replaced by a few perl scripts.

Ahh, he just became a programmer.

I explain that if he automates the guy's job, and he's a "buddy", he won't be fired, he'll be promoted. This is accepted and he wants him automated away. Let him be promoted and bother someone else.

Get the next email from work, showing a confused pile of crap. Ok, time for step two.

Hand him the Camel book and the Cookbook and tell him he's not allowed to program anything professional until he's read them both, end-to-end, several times.

Smile as he accepts the the task. I just made sure he's carrying the Camel book. He is. To the same job I used to go to. Carrying the same book. With the same attitude.

Ah, the adventure continues.
New Or, hire B.Tilly to teach you.
Along with the requisite camel and cookbook.
Expand Edited by Steve Lowe Aug. 22, 2011, 06:29:11 PM EDT
New Oh, he's met Ben
A lonnggggg time ago.

and we refer to certain type's of programming styles as BT's way.

Note: He's REALLY unhappy if a google cache picks up his full name. And it is a perfectly reasonable fear, there are crazy fuckers out there who intersect with his life occasionally. If possible, please get his name out of your title.

He read the 1st 50 pages yesterday. I asked him what he learned. We talked for about 20 minutes of the various things that the book taught him that he would NEVER learn merely by reading someone else's code. And then I pointed out since those were all total unknowns, in the realm of possibility, to him, what else might he be missing?

He just got a hint of the size of the universe. It's big. Really big.

It was a good lesson.

One of the lessons was to stop trying to show off how smart he was. If he can do something in 1 line or 5 lines, do it in 5 and document it well. Put comments in that describe the thought process that led you to this code.

Be able to hand it off to someone else, and do not allow the fact they are a "junior" stop you from doing it. Make damn sure the code is clear enough for them to handle it, or black box it 100% and table drive.

Be ready for the attacks. This language is not someone's favorite at the job, and the second she learns you are productive in it she'll try to isolate you and have you fired. Really. Computer language wars are just like culture wars, and ethnic cleansing is the norm whenever possible.

Be fireable.
Be promotable.
Be worth 50% more than they are paying you.
New Edited, thanks for the heads up.
New BT May not care anymore...
https://plus.google....38621741268/about

Pictures and big time profile.

And its upto date.
New Interesting.
New So that's what he looks like! :-D
Static Scribblings http://staticsan.blogspot.com/
New Yup
Kind of like Clark Kent.
     How to teach perl - (crazy) - (7)
         Or, hire B.Tilly to teach you. - (Steve Lowe) - (6)
             Oh, he's met Ben - (crazy) - (5)
                 Edited, thanks for the heads up. -NT - (Steve Lowe)
                 BT May not care anymore... - (folkert) - (3)
                     Interesting. -NT - (Another Scott)
                     So that's what he looks like! :-D -NT - (static) - (1)
                         Yup - (crazy)

Dad jokes are a socially acceptable way to fart on people.
82 ms