IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Details
Realtek RTL8187SE Wireless LAN PCIE Network Adapter

When I get home and I can connect from Ubuntu again I'll have to see if there's a more appropriate driver available.

Can't be that it's too weak, I'm sitting about 20 feet from it. And in Windows I'm getting 4-of-5 bars. Plus I can see six other networks from here, two of which are over 100 feet away. Two of those six unsecured, can't connect to either of those.
--

Drew
New Should be supported natively
From a command line, see what "iwlist wlan0 scan" shows. It should be a list of all APs, regardless of strength.

wlan0 is the usual name for the first wireless interface. If you are using one of the GUI tools to manage the WiFi, it may not be there. I normally make sure it is defined in /etc/network/interfaces so I can bring it manually when needed.
New Using Network Manager
Yeah, the GUI tool that geeks seem to hate because Ubuntu is simplifying too much. This may be a case where the geeks are right.

Can't test it now, though, since I'm no longer on the island where I was having the problem.
--

Drew
New Re: Using Network Manager
The very first thing I do when setting up a computer with the GUI is remove Network Manager and fix the udev rules if need be.

Even if that piece of crap actually worked right it would be appropriate only for notebooks and other portable devices. It certainly has no place whatever on a server.
New Well, this *is* a notebook
A good network manager should be just a front end that automates the steps that I'd do by hand myself: Scan the local area, find any available networks, display them with relevant details (name, strength, secured, etc.), and allow me to select one to connect to. I don't know how they could screw that up badly.
--

Drew
New Easy - it was programmed by Red Hat.
I admit to having limited experience with Red Hat - because I actively avoid it.

Every time I do deal with it I find their stuff disorganized confusing and difficult to use - often it seems it's made "different" just for the sake of being different.
New Be happy you don't have a Lenovo Winders box.
Sometime in the murky mists long ago, I was messing around "cleaning up" my T61 running XP. It has various Lenovo utilities for connecting to networks, allowing new drivers to be downloaded, etc., etc. 98% of which I never used. In the process of cleaning out cruft from the Registry, or updating some drivers, or something, I broke the "Access Connections" WiFi tool. No amount of reinstalling or doing the usual things would fix it.

Ok, just use the standard Windows Networking instead.

No, you can't do that because the magic WiFi tab in the Windows configuration that lets you check "Let Windows handle WiFi connections" is missing. Mess around, mess around.

Reinstall the Access Connections tools.

Still no worky, but at least the WiFi tab is back, so Winders can handle it.

I read somewhere that to fix it one had to remove all the WiFi drivers, update the BIOS, reinstall the AC software and drivers in some particular order, and even then there were many who complained that it didn't help.

I haven't had those problems with WiFi under Ubuntu, but I usually punted and used fixed IP addresses rather than figuring out historical issues with DHCP, etc. I sympathize. I hope you have it figured out well enough to connect reliably.

Cheers,
Scott.
New NetworkManager ain't as bad as it used to be.
I find it does pretty much everything it needs to, especially for dynamic connections. I think Canonical might have put some dialog options back in at some point because earlier versions were a bit too "unconfigurably". My only beef with it is that it needs gnome-session running for most of its magic. :-/

Wade.
Static Scribblings http://staticsan.blogspot.com/
     Ubuntu doesn't see wireless network that Vista sees - (drook) - (9)
         Driver for your Wireless card... - (folkert) - (8)
             Details - (drook) - (7)
                 Should be supported natively - (scoenye) - (6)
                     Using Network Manager - (drook) - (5)
                         Re: Using Network Manager - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                             Well, this *is* a notebook - (drook) - (2)
                                 Easy - it was programmed by Red Hat. - (Andrew Grygus)
                                 Be happy you don't have a Lenovo Winders box. - (Another Scott)
                             NetworkManager ain't as bad as it used to be. - (static)