IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New ben_tilly is the MAN!
He prolly already has cross-referenced arguments fully prepared, with congresscritter double-speak already sprinkled in for appropriate effect!
jb4
(Resistance is not futile...)
New *blush*
I would like to make that statement a reality, but I can't. Part of it may be I haven't spent sufficient time thinking about the current bill. But the real problem is that I have had trouble with the gesture towards "fair use".

The problem is as it always was with the basic economics of the approach. Content is a fairly small tail to be wagging the huge infrastructure dog with. Unfortunately, while true, that is an argument that requires some real understanding to grasp.

Far easier previously has been visible signs of abuse. Obvious crap like handing Microsoft a monopoly, banning most current uses of email, etc. Unfortunately with a bill that says, "Take fair use into account" it is very hard to point to any specific obvious stupidity. Any piece that you find can be answered with, "Well, that would be fair use and obviously would be addressed by a reasonable standard." That a reasonable standard that avoids all such abuses is impossible is harder to convince people of. (Note that the bill doesn't demonstrate the plausibility of any such standard. It just claims it is an easy problem, and gives a time frame with no regard to the fact that said time frame is insane.)

That no simplistic resolution exists is hard to explain without getting into the economics of software and networks in some detail. And unfortunately pointing out the economics can leave me with an ironclad argument that nobody will ever bother to follow. Which leaves me with few easily followed explanations beyond, "It is a natural managerial wish to declare by fiat that which cannot possibly be justified in reality. Ridiculing this stupidity makes Scott Adams a fortune with Dilbert. That Hollings would claim that his bill could be implemented at reasonable cost is a perfect example..."

This is true. But find me a pithy explanation of why that can be followed by people who do not understand in their guts why Hollings' bill is full of cr*p. :-(

Cheers,
Ben
"... I couldn't see how anyone could be educated by this self-propagating system in which people pass exams, teach others to pass exams, but nobody knows anything."
--Richard Feynman
New Thank you for putting into words!
One of the better explanations why it is so much easier to instantly grok the inanity of such proposals yet.. so slippery to phrase that deduction - such that a child (representative) might grasp it.

You would be more capable than most, of presenting an overview, then a slightly more detailed series of steps / consequences and numbered refs. to further description: I imagine you'd have first to be asked for such a submission or it'd never get past the acolyte at the sorting center (?)

Wanna talk to a rep? Move to DC, chat up the acolyte and ... maybe ...
What a stupid dead-ugly 'system'.

Ashton
     Seeking Arguments Against the CBDTPA - (drewk) - (4)
         ben_tilly is the MAN! - (jb4) - (2)
             *blush* - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                 Thank you for putting into words! - (Ashton)
         Wendy Grossman had an Inq column on Intellectual Property... - (CRConrad)

Looks like a helluva party to me! Begone evil spirits!!
43 ms