IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Lion!
Apple may have had some download issues during the lunch hour. I started my download just before 11. When I got back from lunch around 12:30, it was at the half way point and no network activity was going on. It resumed downloading about 45 minutes later.

I followed the instructions here to create a bootable install DVD (instructions also included for bootable USB stick)
http://www.macstorie...oot-discs-and-qa/

I installed that new hybrid drive in my MacBook Pro, then installed Lion on it. During the install I put my Snow Leopard drive into the USB dock and selected the "Migrate from another drive" option when it showed up. Transfer took a while as the computer kept going to sleep - rather annoying. I'll report back, in my other topic, on the hybrid drive performance after I've used the computer a while - at the moment the computer's busy doing the Spotlight indexing which will probably make the SDD caching meaningless until it's done.

Finder feels real snappy - under Snow Leopard there was a noticeable delay when opening folders while all the icons were populated. In Lion they just "pop open" with all icons already loaded. And this is with the Spotlight indexing still running.

My printer had a ! beside it's name in the print dialog. I went into Print & Scan in System Preferences and it told me the driver wasn't installed right and asked if I'd like to do a repair. I did and the printer works - much better than when Snow Leopard came out and I had to temporarily use that hackintosh netbook as a print server.

The scrolling's driving me nuts at the moment - it's inverted from before so it works the same as on the iPhone & iPad. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Safari's quite speedy, I like it! They did change the "back" keyboard shortcut though, its now COMMAND [ and I keep hitting COMMAND LEFT-ARROW out of habit.

Not sure I'm going to like Full Screen mode. I have a couple 24" monitors for work, and the main one is hooked up to a KVM to make it easier to use with my multiple work systems as well as with my MacBook Pro. The MBP is to the right and I keep Mail, iChat and iTunes on the laptop display so those are always visible even if I have the main display switched over to my work system. When I put an app into full-screen mode, the laptop display shows a greyed out pattern.

All the PowerPC apps migrated, but they have a slashed circle superimposed on them. Double clicking one results in a pop up that PowerPC applications are no longer supported. This will probably catch some people off guard. Luckily for me I knew about the change and replaced Quicken with iBank a couple weeks ago. Data Migration required running Quicken to do an export, but that'd be rather difficult to do after Lion's in place. I understand why Apple's doing it. If you've not upgraded yet, run System Information (in the Utilities folder). Click on Applications in the Software section then click on Kind so you can see what apps you have that are still PowerPC. Besides Quicken, the ones on my system are old games I've not played in quite some time.

The auto-correction ported from the iPhone/iPad works well. It's fixed a number of typos for me while entering this post.

Java's no longer installed, but when I ran jEdit Lion downloaded and installed Java for me.

I have Air Display installed - it turns your iOS devices into another monitor. However, it's disabled at the moment as the video driver for my MBP's NVIDEO GeForce isn't compatible with Air Display. It's disabled until the driver's been updated. Not a major issue as I don't often use Air Display.
New Thanks for the quick report!
New Resize windows every corner/edge! Hurray!
just finished dinner and see that the Ars Technica review went up earlier today.
http://arstechnica.c...mac-os-x-10-7.ars

I've always liked their in-depth, reviews so I decided to subscribe. The subscription includes downloadable versions of their reviews in epub (Kindle), mobi (iBooks) and PDF formats. It even came with a subscription to Wired, wasn't expecting that. If you don't wish to subscribe ($50/year, $30/six months or $5 for 1 month), you pay $4.99 to download just this one review. (can still read it online for free).
http://arstechnica.c...now-available.ars

I've put the review on my iPad - off to kick back in my comfy chair and peruse it.

New Lion
geting my Imac ready for it now
do you use time machine to back up your drive?
I here I have to erase my ex hard drive to use it with lion
"Pictures are better then words because some words are big and hard to understand"
Peter Griffin (Family Guy)
New Yes
Though I've got it powered off at the moment. Plan to hook it back up after work.
     Lion! - (SpiceWare) - (4)
         Thanks for the quick report! -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Resize windows every corner/edge! Hurray! - (SpiceWare)
         Lion - (Bman) - (1)
             Yes - (SpiceWare)

The ice cream truck in the neighborhood plays "Helter Skelter".
69 ms