IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Offshore ==> Offshore trap doors et alia?
http://www.salon.com...emium%29_7_30_110

The terrorist threat we're ignoring
How the high-tech software we import from China is setting us up for potential cyberattacks
BY DAVID SIROTA

According to the U.S. government, the list of known boogeymen working to compromise American national security is long and getting longer by the day. By my back of the envelope count, we have shoe bombers, underwear bombers, train bombers, cargo bombers, dirty bombers, car bombers and, never to be forgotten, box-cutter hijackers. Now, as of last week, we are told to fear the brand new "implant bomber" -- the terrorist who will surgically stitch explosives to his innards for the purposes of a suicide attack.

All of these threats are, indeed, scary -- and the last one, which sounds like something out of "Saw" movie, is especially creepy. But the fear of individual terrorist acts has diverted attention from a more systemic threat that is taking the implant idea to a much bigger platform. I'm talking about the threat of terrorists or foreign governments exploiting our economy's penchant for job outsourcing/offshoring. How? By using our corresponding reliance on imports to secretly stitch security-compromising technology into our society's central IT nervous system.

[. . .]

The media and political establishment avoids discussing these issues (and typically writes off free-trade critics as Luddites) not because the issues are insignificant, but because the corporations that own the media and buy the politicians also profit off a trade policy that helps companies cut costs by moving production to low-wage countries. Not surprisingly, then, these corporations don't want a serious public examination of the downsides of those trade policies. And so those downsides become victims of a pernicious and pervasive self-censorship -- one that presents free-trade as an exclusively economic (and exclusively positive) issue.

Appreciating the breathtaking power of that self-censorship is simply to behold the reticence on the supply chain threat, which, at its core, raises real concerns about our trade policy. In a money-dominated media and political system that otherwise loves a good scare, the silence suggests free-trade theology trumps all -- even major national security threats.

While this be a-technical, appropriate to their readership ... are we not seeing here, merely the latest ... ...

Après moi le deluge ..?

(Shit.. no humanoid has Evahhh read every line of Doze sourcecode--and no Redmond tyke has ever discovered how to nearly-fix it all, we see repeatedly.
What Do with petabytes of stuff gushing in, maybe embedded in firmware in your latest pocket transistor toy?
Or within the GPU which tries to do parallel-processing in your insanely-great multicore iMac-'13-with pheromone-synthesis chip? )

What's the moribund take of the IGM??

New My take
You'd have to be stupid to think this hasn't happened plenty already.
--

Drew
New But of course..

I could almost see voting for Palin Cthulhu in 2012 on the grounds that this sorry ratfucking excuse for a republic, this savage, smirking, predatory empire deserves her. Bring on the Rapture, motherfuckers!
-- via RC
New backdoors built into the hardware
routers, switches controls etc
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New unlikely
those things are being looked for...daily...but some very very smart folks.
Sure, understanding today's complex world of the future is a little like having bees live in your head. But...there they are.
New scada is p0wned
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New Not a chance
Routers get shipped en mass pre-configured with standard corporate (known by many, easily cracked) passwords. Rarely are they changed.

SCADA isn't designed for ANY network attachment. Any security on it is an afterthought, and rarely works. The vast majority of our electrical infrastructure, chemical plants, manufacturing plants, etc, are run from off the shelf SCADA components which are not intended to be connected to the back-office network.

And they always connect it so the engineers can work remotely and the back-office people can get ongoing automated reports. Which in turn allows malware to attack them, and the malware is SIMPLE.

You work in the office. You hear all the good things that the managers are reporting. I work in the tranches. I see what they are not.

Your daily lookers are too busy fighting fires, and they don't have access to the proprietary underlying SCADA code to fix it anyway. They try to sandbox it via routers and firewalls, but it is piecemeal, and doesn't work.
New Actually
In general, I would agree..what I'm referencing is not in general. No more can be said here.

Not talking to the managers. Talking to the engineers.
Sure, understanding today's complex world of the future is a little like having bees live in your head. But...there they are.
New Hey, maybe you've seen a decent implementation
But you know the vast open sea of SCADA installed base, just waiting to be hacked, isn't going away.
New Yes I have, and yes I know..
...and hopefully they will go away...need to keep busy;-)

Offshore ==> Offshore trap doors et alia? - (Ashton) - (9)
         My take - (drook) - (1)
             But of course.. -NT - (Ashton)
         backdoors built into the hardware - (boxley) - (6)
             unlikely - (beepster) - (5)
                 scada is p0wned -NT - (boxley)
                 Not a chance - (crazy) - (3)
                     Actually - (beepster) - (2)
                         Hey, maybe you've seen a decent implementation - (crazy) - (1)
                             Yes I have, and yes I know.. - (beepster)

No, no. We have to provide potential hostages over there so they won’t look for potential hostages over here.
111 ms