IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Interesting. You might have a couple more options.
Until the "VM" is in hardware, there are going to be compromises - especially for hardware-intensive things like gaming.

It's probably a moot issue at this point, but you still have a couple more options, I think.

1) Snow Leopard on PC hardware - http://tonymacx86.bl...dge-customac.html People triple-boot such things.

IIRC, Apple's license will allow virtualization of Lion. (They presently allow it on OS X Server, IIRC.) I'm sure they'll still make it non-trivial on non-Apple hardware though. Lion is expected to run fine on TonyMac's stuff, but things do break. (I've not been brave/stupid enough to try it myself as I don't have any appropriate hardware.) I believe that people have run OS X in VMs on PCs, but I don't recall the details.

2) BootCamp supposedly supports XP, but you need the right version - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3777 - that was last updated in March.

HTH a little. Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: Interesting. You might have a couple more options.
Thanks, but the point was to run a virtualized environment so that he could have Windows for gaming and such, and I could have Mac for easier protection of the Windows environment. I was the one who wanted OSX for the management side; he's not exactly dying to have a Mac.

Boot Camp was never my favored option to begin with precisely because it's turning Mac hardware into a Windows box, with no .vbox file to easily back-up to this server for easy flashing.
-Mike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
     Windows under OSX question - (mvitale) - (11)
         I use it in VMWare Fusion - (malraux)
         Vir[t]ual Box seems fine to me. - (Another Scott)
         VMWare Fusion here, too. - (Steve Lowe)
         VMWare fusion... - (folkert)
         I'm happy with Parallels - (SpiceWare) - (1)
             I gave up on Parallels - (malraux)
         Verdict: Miserable failure - (mvitale) - (4)
             Interesting. You might have a couple more options. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Re: Interesting. You might have a couple more options. - (mvitale)
             Did you enable hardware acceleration? - (malraux) - (1)
                 Re: Did you enable hardware acceleration? - (mvitale)

Living in our own private Idaho.
105 ms