IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Yeah, IMAP is a quirky thing.
The inventor of IMAP is a rather biased individual and loves the mbox format. The writer of Courier has had a few "encounters" with him, especially when Courier-IMAP (which uses Maildir exclusively) turned out to be many times faster than the "official" IMAP server.

Wade.
Static Scribblings http://staticsan.blogspot.com/
New There is a reason...
I've chosen to continue to use Courier's POP/IMAP servers.
New Re: Yeah, IMAP is a quirky thing.
http://www.courier-m.../mbox-vs-maildir/

http://www.courier-mta.org/fud/
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Interesting. Thanks.
New Feeling a bit masochistic, I actually read the 1st link,
scanned most of the topic displays. Seems an apparently exhaustive, logical and probably sufficient analysis of why 'IMAP' ~~ sux, by comparison with alternatives.
Since computer-'science' is allegedly--like other sciences--ever in search of the lucid, the provably superior [method.. for anything], dare I ask a few Qs which ensue?

I mean, with trillions of messages, with content from the agonizingly stupid ---> blissfully profound: clearly 'mail' techno has risen to the level of Critical Asset™, daily/minute-by-minute.
Q:[WHY] Is there NO adult supervision at IMAP HQ??
Worse (and given the predictably hole-filled mess that every Doze 'build' carries forward [to the {sob} Next)

Is 'IT' forever doomed to operate solely under the bizhead/reduced-comprehension of the spreadsheet besotted/science-illiterate corner-office droids? eg
Why Is It that 'IT' Pros have never funded an org, with, say, the aims of Consumer Reports
[but for its audience]--one with the creds and the English Language chops to act as a moderator:
pointing out the major flaws of Ap-A -vs- Ap-B, especially in an area so critical as, non-confusing, properly coded MAIL Aps?

Hmm? Surely enough time has elapsed since the 486-DX, that the need for Adult Supervision is manifest.

OK I'm iggerant of n+66 aspects of The Problem; still, how's come your trade/Profession/ Calling? appears to believe it (IT) can make decent progress in weeding out the sub-quality stuff now in proliferation:
without a recognized, respected, Competent org dedicated to the critical oversight of, at least the Crucial Aps in worldwide circulation?

[The Market Will Correct? cha cha cha] Surely you jest.

(Yesss, you'd have to Support the gestation and then maintenance of such an org--with real money.)
Out of your Own proceeds [call it Dues] ... at least until it achieves Cabinet Status for its relevance to 'info' transmission of every description,
and is properly finded as is any other Critical National Asset.

I believe I raised a similar issue.. oh, say ~ Ten years ago..? Has anything 'improved' since?
Is everybody just too busy debugging, to notice or care about this |black hole| in the middle of your fav playground? Zzzzzzzzzzz

Curmudgeons everywhere Want To Know.

[oTyp]
Expand Edited by Ashton July 2, 2011, 06:25:54 PM EDT
New It's called "mindshare"
It's a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation. Sure, a better IMAP can be written. But it needs a corresponding client to use it. That's how IMAP started: UW-IMAP and PINE were written by the same person. Whether someone today was to write and promote a whole new protocol or "fix" the exisint one, they would need buy-in from popular clients.

As Drew has discovered, "best practices" of using an IMAP server has shifted in some ways from what the originator intended. That's what happens in the real world. The author of Courier is aware of this, but won't violate the RFC as that is still the reference point everyone codes to.

I've used UW-IMAP, by the way, and a sorry excuse for a server it is. It's the same author of the "c-client" library that is popularly used to be an IMAP client; and it's awful to program against, as well.

Wade.
Static Scribblings http://staticsan.blogspot.com/
Expand Edited by static July 2, 2011, 06:50:57 PM EDT
New I remember PINE..
Used it to send stuff from Indiana --> Moscow in early '90s; then, it seemed near-miraculous.
It even accommodated Cyrillic text!/somehow. I no Unix then, but had to grok enough to proceed.
Picky lot, aren't we?
     Messages deleted in Evolution are still on the server - (drook) - (26)
         Re: Messages deleted in Evolution are still on the server - (malraux) - (8)
             That's not an option - (drook) - (7)
                 The the IMAP server is ignoring the commands. - (folkert)
                 Re: That's not an option - (malraux) - (3)
                     What a nightmare... -NT - (Another Scott)
                     Only slightly - (drook) - (1)
                         One more reason to discard it, perhaps? - (static)
                 Ctrl-e - (beepster) - (1)
                     Yup, that's what I've been doing - (drook)
         connect to the imap server via telnet - (boxley) - (7)
             Oh, I can delete them from the webmail interface just fine - (drook) - (6)
                 Oh... so now the real story comes out. - (folkert) - (5)
                     Busted in both directions - (drook) - (4)
                         Is this Evolution on... - (folkert) - (3)
                             Linux at home, Linux in Virtualbox on Windows at work -NT - (drook) - (2)
                                 And we are talking... - (folkert) - (1)
                                     Working now ... wonder what did it - (drook)
         Think I figured out what it was - (drook) - (8)
             Sounds plausible. Shouldn't happen, though. - (Another Scott)
             Yeah, IMAP is a quirky thing. - (static) - (6)
                 There is a reason... - (folkert)
                 Re: Yeah, IMAP is a quirky thing. - (malraux) - (1)
                     Interesting. Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
                 Feeling a bit masochistic, I actually read the 1st link, - (Ashton) - (2)
                     It's called "mindshare" - (static) - (1)
                         I remember PINE.. - (Ashton)

Oh good, just go the wrong way why don't you!
102 ms