IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New British Fear "American Style" Healthcare

Throughout the health care reform debate, Republicans loved describe the U.S. healthcare system as "the best in the world." I guess the British just don't know what they're missing.

Britain is now embroiled in a healthcare argument of its own, prompted by a proposed shake-up of the NHS. And the phrase on everyone's lips is "American-style," which may not be as catchy as the "death panels" that Palin attributed to socialized medicine but which, over here, inspires pretty much the same kind of terror.

Ask a Briton to describe "American-style" healthcare, and you'll hear a catalog of horrors that include grossly expensive and unnecessary medical procedures and a privatized system that favors the rich. For a people accustomed to free healthcare for all, regardless of income, the fact that millions of their cousins across the Atlantic have no insurance and can't afford decent treatment is a farce as well as a tragedy.

Even David Cameron, the Tory darling of the GOP, seems to be ignorant about just how awesome our system is.

"We will not be selling off the NHS, we will not be moving towards an insurance scheme, we will not introduce an American-style private system," Prime Minister David Cameron emphatically told a group of healthcare workers in a nationally televised address last week.

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

http://firedoglake.c...style-healthcare/

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from."

-- E.L. Doctorow
New We watch US TV, we know what it's like
The NHS is a bureaucratic monstrosity but when you're ill and should be least able to fight bureaucratic battles, you still get treated at little cost. Whereas we watch US TV programmes and see the trouble Americans have with insurance companies.

The US healthcare system sucks and you know it. Why is anyone surprised the British don't what it? Of course, the US electorate have never let facts, or that ObamaCare is wrecked Republican policy, get in the way of a 'debate'.
--------------------------------------------
Matthew Greet

I'm not prejudiced. I hate everyone equally.
     British Fear "American Style" Healthcare - (lincoln) - (1)
         We watch US TV, we know what it's like - (warmachine)

I'm sorry, I came here for an argument!
170 ms