IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Upgrading Ubuntu..wish me luck:-)
Sure, understanding today's complex world of the future is a little like having bees live in your head. But...there they are.
New let me know how you fix your video
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New Re: let me know how you fix your video
Vid didn't seem to be an issue right off the top. However, let it sit overnight and it froze solid...so something isn't right.
Sure, understanding today's complex world of the future is a little like having bees live in your head. But...there they are.
New my desktop scrambles on a regular basis init 6 fixes it
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New Re: my desktop scrambles on a regular basis init 6 fixes it
Thanks. Now I know how to fix if it happens to me
New init 6 - ctrl-alt-del in Unix.
New Ubuntu seems...
to not like that and by default, disables that.

Yeah like most of the distributions disabling:

CTRL-ALT-R to logout immediately in X
CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE to restart X completely.

(or maybe the other way... been so long since I've have them working, dunno if I remembered right)
New Remember...
CTRL-ALT-F1 gets you to the "text" console login prompt. Or you could ssh into the machine if it still responding.

From there login and do you work from there. Usually an "X" server can be reset by doing: "/etc/init.d/gdm restart" (or equivalent)

btw "init 6" is reboot, equivalent to "shutdown -r now"

And if it froze solid or panicked, the SCROLL, CAPS and NUMLOCK lights should be blinking in unison if it panic'd or did something it wasn't supposed to.

It if was completely NO RESPONSE from keys, no blinking lights etc... usually that will indicate a piece of hardware having issues.
New Re: Remember...
there was a bit of sarcasm there...

I was guessing that it was likely video related...as most things linux have tended to be...

Didn't appear in panic...but would not respond...clock frozen at 2:42 am...right about the time it should have locked screen...

3 finger salute was ineffective (natch)...so it was a hard start...5 seconds on the power.

While I was on it...it appeared to be working fine...though screen refresh seemed much slower than in 10.04..which is why I'm leaning on it having put in sub-optimal vid drivers.

Other possibility is it doesn't like the cycle down of the drives on the usb caddy...so tonight I pull that off and see.
New Laptop?
I had issues with wake from sleep. Had to add some ACPI script magic to fix it.
--

Drew
New nope..lenovo desktop.
10.04 was working flawlessly. I probably should have left it.
     Upgrading Ubuntu..wish me luck:-) -NT - (beepster) - (10)
         let me know how you fix your video -NT - (boxley) - (9)
             Re: let me know how you fix your video - (beepster) - (8)
                 my desktop scrambles on a regular basis init 6 fixes it -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                     Re: my desktop scrambles on a regular basis init 6 fixes it - (beepster) - (2)
                         init 6 - ctrl-alt-del in Unix. -NT - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                             Ubuntu seems... - (folkert)
                 Remember... - (folkert) - (1)
                     Re: Remember... - (beepster)
                 Laptop? - (drook) - (1)
                     nope..lenovo desktop. - (beepster)

Impossible.
90 ms