Stone walls do not a prison make, Nor iron bars a cage;

Richard Lovelace. 1618–1658
To Althea, from Prison

http://holykaw.allto...ts-school-be-turn
New Tremendous letter
--

Drew
New Re: On recycling our schools
Yes, those of us who have been observing decline, incrementally, as (too many) parents were behaving as those once dubbed 'truants' -- we predicted, that is: merely extrapolated some sort of curve asymptotic to the present unravelling, perhaps so advanced now as to be, in present atmosphere of casual hate-speech and know-nothing Jeremiads, terminal.
Nothing whatsoever of satisfaction (or even satisfiction) in any such prescience, of course. :-/
Nobody can enjoy seeing enacted for-Real, a homo-sap race-to-seppuku (just because you can no longer Shop Til You Drop, eh?)

As noted below too, re the TeaPartyite-level of many responses {kill those overpaid teechurs, intellecshuls and govmint non-workers-wherever-found! cha cha} -- the pathetic grammar displayed, worse syntax and execrable excuse for 'reasoning' -- underscore the growing presence of, at least a couple generations of the people Sinclair Lewis limned / warned us were, even in 1935: a likely plurality of the Murican vox populi.

Vince said...
When I read the hate, vitriol and negativity towards teachers, I can understand why the U.S. is failing as a nation. They are getting fatter, sicker, stupider, and poorer. The decline of the once great U.S. is in full swing. Sad indeed. I also like how all the wage slaves attack each other.

Jun 03, 2011
Get Real Folks said...
After 18 year of teaching...I am no longer a public school teacher. After the the 5th year of pay cuts and budget cuts finally gave up on having to deal with parents who treat school as glorified daycare. So I made a career change. I am now a manager at a local fast food establishment and now have better hours, better benefits, salary and honestly get more respect than 90% of my peers got in the teaching profession. I was expected to spend my days and nights trying to get everyone children through school but knowing that with my salary I could never afford to send my own son.

I used to spend my free time on nights and weekends tutoring students to help them pass their high school exams when their parents didn't' even care if their kids ever got to school on time. The unfortunate thing is that I am now teaching these very same kids on nights and weekends. The difference is that instead of teaching them about global economic policies, I am teaching them to make change and ask whether "you want fries with that." We live in a society where people are willing to pay for the best tv, the best car, the best seats at a baseball game.....but no one is willing to pay for the best teachers. I am not saying I was the "best" but I enjoyed my job and hoped that I was at least above average. Of course teacher salaries are going to be a large cost of education. Books don't teach, buildings don't teach.....teachers teach.

Blaming teachers for the fact that students don't show up for school, don't study, or don't do their homework just goes to prove how out of touch most parents are with their children. In the day and age where teachers threatening to flunk a student for not doing homework results in teacher getting disciplined. (because its damaging to the students self esteem) Its no wonder why we are where we are today. In 18 years I watched it go from the point where EVERY parent showed up for their parent teacher conference, to the point where less than 10 parents out of 125 of my students even bothered to show up or contact me in any way at all. I see many parents behaving much like my old students. They fail to take responsibility for their own actions and instead choose to blame everything and everyone for their own decisions.

Yes , even the saner, legible commentators don't know where a ['] would be handy, etc. Sloth is contagious?

And so it goes went.
New So true..
For 25 years, Jonathan Kozol has been writing books about the educational system in this country: http://www.amazon.co...id=Mozilla-search

One particular comment made by a teacher of 32 years (in his book "Death At An Early Age) said:

"The PURPOSE of education is no longer (if it ever was) to give every child a fair chance. Education is the first of many sorting systems to make sure that nobody escapes the social class into which they are born."

A sorting system. Sounds about right, doesn't it?

It's not like people haven't noticed what's happening around them:

"The Collapse Complex of Societies"

http://www.amazon.co...1307214442&sr=8-2

Just an old guy complaining. My 2 cents.
New Read John Taylor Gatto
He said years ago -- with historical references to back it up -- that public school was designed to keep the lower classes in the lower classes. The children of the rich would of course go to private schools, which were not run the same way.
--

Drew
New It's not a problem of sloth
People have been trying to fix the schools for decades. The problem tends to be more that the solutions are misguided. Too much paper work and testing, too many attempts to apply rigid rules to what are really social problems, and too much focus on short sighted metrics rather then fundamental problems.

Jay
New Agreed.. meant the punctuation sloth of an otherwise OK post
-- a particularly ungood credibility sign when a teacher is writing (in that much haste.)
     On recycling our schools - (dmcarls) - (6)
         Tremendous letter -NT - (drook)
         Re: On recycling our schools - (Ashton) - (4)
             So true.. - (dmcarls) - (1)
                 Read John Taylor Gatto - (drook)
             It's not a problem of sloth - (jay) - (1)
                 Agreed.. meant the punctuation sloth of an otherwise OK post - (Ashton)

Did you recently read an article?
59 ms