IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New insightful blog entry about the iPad from a 14 year old
http://jpteti.com/po...ny-other-computer

The iPad only does less than a regular computer to us geeks. To everyone else, it does more. This is what Motorola and Google and Samsung and BlackBerry and everyone else, with the sole exception of Apple, do not get about “open” computing. It’s powerful, but for ordinary people, it’s too powerful.
New Attention computer industry: This is your customer
--

Drew
New and a very wise one at that.
Sure, understanding today's complex world of the future is a little like having bees live in your head. But...there they are.
New +6: Comprehensive Brevity!
New That's a good grab, too.
I'm considering an Android tablet for the electronic notebook thing. I have fundamental problems with Apple, which is why the iPad is currently out of the running. But I got to play with a Xoom briefly the other day.

Apart from the gee-wow of it, there was a fundamental disconnect between what I was interested in and what Motorola thought I would be interested in. First problem: I could not find a note-taking app in order to try out the on-screen keyboard at length. Eventually I created a new Contact and used the Notes field. :-/

Second problem: apart from taking pics, which I didn't try, it is abundantly clear that the device is intended to consume media. Music, videos, websites. I didn't see a Twitter client, nor a Facebook client (might have been there, but if so, I didn't see 'em). I just knew that I would be fighting this if I bought one for electronic notes. I'm not going to buy a Xoom.

The Apple Newton was good as an electronic notebook. Pity Steve didn't like it.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New The niche is young yet.
I don't think the 1st generation iPad is good for creating stuff, either. I find it terribly awkward to use for posting here, for example. E.g. Cut and Paste works, but there are so many finger actions required. Moving the insertion point to a particular character works, but it's a slow process that requires fine finger motion. Etc. Then you've got to poke around some more to transfer that buffer into something else.

I think that if you really want to create more than trivial amounts of work with a tablet, then you need a physical keyboard and a physical mouse-like device (I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually come with a pen for finer control of the screen.). It may be great for Tweets, but I don't do that. A 1st generation (but of course, it's not really) touchscreen works well for me a player/reader, but not so well for me when trying to get my thoughts out to others.

Can't say I agree with the "it's more open because it's not/it does more because it doesn't" school of thought, but I can see where he's coming from. I feel he's using the wrong words to express his thoughts, though. FWIW. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who is considering a MacBook Air rather than another tablet for any future "thin-and-light with great battery life" PC-ish purchases. But that's a ways off.)
New Right words, wrong emphasis.
She said, "I can do more with it." (From memory ... site seems to have gone down.)

That isn't equivalent to, "more can be done with it." It's specifically, "I can do more."

Capabilities that can't be accessed by me don't count.
--

Drew
New Close. ;-)
(It's working here) - http://jpteti.com/po...ny-other-computer

J-P: Awesome. Why are you getting it?

Sophie: Well, my grandpa was going to get me a laptop for my graduation gift, but we couldn’t find the one I wanted and my mom said “maybe you should look into that iPad thing” and it’s the same price and it does more. (emphasis mine)

Bam.

It does more.

The teenage market is where I like to turn for a prediction of where the general market will be in a few years. Because while teens aren’t nerdy, they tend to be early adopters because it’s cool— taking out my iPad (which I often bring to school in my backpack) is actually considered showing off by a lot of people. Everyone in my class has an Android phone or an iPhone. One of my friends, again, not a tech nerd, had the Droid within 2 months of it being released and had the Verizon iPhone the day after it came out.

And this market thinks the iPad does more.

This is the key to the iPad that nobody has figured out. The iPad does everything that a regular computer user does. Facebook. YouTube. Email. Web browsing. It does all this out of the box.

And it has all the apps.

J-P morphed what Sophie said about "it does more" into a discussion that it "has all the apps" and of "open"-ness. I get where he's coming from, but the iPad doesn't "do everything that a normal computer user does". When it first came out, you couldn't print with it (without going through lots of contortions) and it still has very limited printer support (unless you're willing to install a hack). Printing isn't unheard of by a normal computer user...

Yes, the App Store has lots of advantages, and the iPad comes with a good selection of apps. That doesn't make it "open". A pet peeve of mind is to attempt to redefine terms. Words need to have meaning for people to understand each other. "It does everything! It does more!" No, it doesn't. He's young, so that's Ok. :-)

</curmudgeon>

Cheers,
Scott.
New Bah! My point stands
What she meant was, "It does more of what I want."

We could continue arguing this point, or we can just dig up that old Slashdot thread from when the iPod was introduced, and all the geeks were ranting about how and why it sucked.
--

Drew
New I'll let you win this time. ;-)
New I have a 2100
It was my first Apple gear and I loved it. By the time the 2100 came out the hand writing recognition worked quite well. Sadly it stopped working a few years back.
Expand Edited by SpiceWare March 26, 2011, 12:47:13 PM EDT
New Mine is still okay.
But my handwriting had always been awful and the platform is showing its age. Now it just sits on my shelf remembering passwords for me.

Sometimes I wonder how it could have developed if Steve had embraced it instead of rejecting it.

Wade.

New Android Market...
Is an awesome thing. Its why Motorola isn't really worried about what you want... you just go get it. Most things you want are actually free.

Official Twitter Client from Android Market
Facebook if not on it is available at the Android Market

Selective Tweets, Digby, Ping.FM, lots of other social networking stuff all there.

I think the Android Market is better than the Apple App Store... but I could be wrong.

The Xoom, I've seen in action actually being used with our software... fsck me it is neat.
New I know, I own a HTC Hero.
But handing that problem off to the Android Market is bad marketing.

It's the difference between "You Can Do This! And This! And This! And That!" versus "What do you want it to do?"

Wade.

insightful blog entry about the iPad from a 14 year old - (SpiceWare) - (13)
         Attention computer industry: This is your customer -NT - (drook) - (1)
             and a very wise one at that. -NT - (beepster)
         +6: Comprehensive Brevity! -NT - (Ashton)
         That's a good grab, too. - (static) - (9)
             The niche is young yet. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                 Right words, wrong emphasis. - (drook) - (3)
                     Close. ;-) - (Another Scott) - (2)
                         Bah! My point stands - (drook) - (1)
                             I'll let you win this time. ;-) -NT - (Another Scott)
             I have a 2100 - (SpiceWare) - (1)
                 Mine is still okay. - (static)
             Android Market... - (folkert) - (1)
                 I know, I own a HTC Hero. - (static)

If your role can be replaced by Keanu Reeves miming walking into a non-existent wall, then you probably need to go back to waiting tables at the Ground Round--make that the homeless shelter.
124 ms