IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New technically hardware, I suppose
I'm wondering if there's some combination of components out there that can do this without involving either my computer or (except on the control end) my wireless network.

I'm imagining a hard disk-based device that plugs into my receiver's "auxiliary" RCA jacks, although I'm open to the notion of a more advanced receiver, more advanced inputs. The device itself is (large version) about the size of a receiver, with a small front panel screen and controls equivalent in functionality and simplicity to the original iPod, or (small version) a featureless box the size of a Mac Mini to be controlled either by a dedicated iPod-like remote, or by an iPad.

The device would be fed my entire (well, let's be reasonable: the collection includes some clunkers I've never purged) CD library, for choice at some minimally compromised level of digital recompression, so that I could summon up a given album or ditty at a dinner party and set it playing on my main audio system. I'm aware that various technologies offer approximately this functionality already, but those I know of require a PC/Mac at the wireless heart of the system, and while I'm prepared for the computer to serve as the portal for input into the musical library, I'd like the burden of actual storage to rest upon a dedicated device.

I think that my ideal fantasy system might involve a physically small component (something like a Mac Mini or Apple TV) that could be updated via a wired connection with the iMac, preferably with the transcribed music going directly from CD to imaginary device without taking up space on the iMac's internal disk, and controlled, once attached to the home audio system, either by means of a front panel with an iPod-like interface, a dedicated remote with the same interface, an actual iPod, or an iPad. My principal concern is to spare the computer the storage duties, and to spare the home network the serving duties: I'm guessing that the mere control functions would not involve a great deal of wireless overhead.

Does anyone know whether an arrangement like this is presently feasible?

cordially,
New Yes, such beasts exist.
And have, on and off, for quite some years. Several different manufacturers have played with this idea over the decades and they often pop up in audiophile magazines reviewed by reviewers who seem a bit bemused by the approach. I know JVC had one some years back and Bose have had a go, too.

You basically want a DVR but for audio CDs. If you want to look in person, you will need to haunt large Hi-Fi stores until you find someone who knows what you're looking for.

FWIW, a PC running MythTV can do what almost exactly what you want. The only difficulty is a non-TV interface.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New Here's one. It's very high end, though.
http://lenwallisaudi...media-centre/06hd

I chanced across an ad for it in today's paper.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New Why, that's very like what I had in mind
...but at US $6550, it's unlikely to fit into my home entertainment system anytime soon. It would seem more feasible to use a Mac Mini as a dedicated music server, and swap in a new one every x years as the units wear out. I'm obscurely gratified, though, to know that the beastie I imagined does exist after a fashion.

cordially,
New Re: Why, that's very like what I had in mind
http://www.brennan.co.uk/

There is this...significantly less than 6k...but still pretty pricey compared to, say, building or having built a dedicated machine for the task out of a shuttle or a component style pc case.
Sure, understanding today's complex world of the future is a little like having bees live in your head. But...there they are.
New Well of course ... it's "designed for audiophiles"
--

Drew
New Malraux has something like that.
http://www.logitech....tems/devices/5745

There is a "computer" server for streaming coordinated to all the devices in the house at the same time nor individually.

I'm not sure they work like they used to... but "slimserver" used to allow you to attach other devices such as other computers or streamers to feeds either coordinated or individual also.
     technically hardware, I suppose - (rcareaga) - (6)
         Yes, such beasts exist. - (static) - (4)
             Here's one. It's very high end, though. - (static) - (3)
                 Why, that's very like what I had in mind - (rcareaga) - (2)
                     Re: Why, that's very like what I had in mind - (beepster) - (1)
                         Well of course ... it's "designed for audiophiles" -NT - (drook)
         Malraux has something like that. - (folkert)

root#_
84 ms