IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New OK I am officially impressed with Windows 7
needed to print something at work off the new laptop. SHIT! no printer configured. Guhroan. Click look for printer, Open up the printer properties from the old work laptop turn around, windows 7 had already found and selected our floor printer with no prompts. In XP finding that particular printer was an absolute bitch because of the print queues. So I am officially impressed
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New I installed it about 20 times in the last 2 days
Core Duo PC, 2GB of memory.

New toy: 40GB SSD for boot, OS, and critical app data.

Desire: Ubuntu 10.10 desktop->Some VM (using Oracle Virtual Box so far, love/hate it)->Win (something, don't really care, was XP but I'll take Win7 if I can)->Running my critical app with 2GB of data on SSD.

And I installed Ubuntu at least 10 times as well.

Sigh. 40GB is not enough, but it was $99, ie: high tech impulse buy. 80GB is $199, ie: nope, not paying for it. Yet. I should have bought it.

So anyway, to start off with, SSD is simply incredibly fast. 4 times the throughput of my fastest drive, and 100 time better access time (essentially NONE), so multiple competing applications are limited by the channel. IE: No limitation! I can add channels.

Total winner. I can see creating an "array" of 4 of these.

So installing and reinstalling was not that painful. I'm not done yet.

Win7 seems to run fine in Virtual box, but I get a CRC error while reading data during an application install. The data is good. Really. I used the same DVD on the same drive after installing a native Win7 partition on the SSD. I then installed the app, and it works. 10 times faster than the best previous run.

I then installed ubuntu for dual boot. I then installed a new Win7 environment, and installed VirtualBox, and then the app, again, and then the data, and it failed. Again.
I've done it via DDed iso images as well. Same failure.

Well, I still have multiple ways of getting it in there, I'm not done, but I'm not finished either.

So anyway, SSD - YAY! Go get one, it will change your life.
New I suspect I'll do that next year
Mom's new 11" MacBook Air sure is snappy, even with that slow CPU, so I'm sold on the idea of getting an SSD drive. However, I'm looking at a new 17" MBP this year, but can't see spending an extra $1100 for a large enough SSD for my needs. I suspect it'll be a lot more affordable next year as SSD competition seems to be ramping up, so I'm planning to replace the drive then.
New Can they do two drives?
I've seen lots of people in the video production field who use an SSD for the OS and apps, and a second drive (internal or firewire) for data.
--

Drew
New Yeah, can use external drives w/out any problem
I use the 800 FireWire for my Time Machine drive. However, I'd prefer not to for data as it means it's more of a hassle when traveling (especially when I visit my brother - he has 4 boys).

I could always go this route and replace the optical with another drive, but likewise I'd rather leave it in place as I still use it often enough.
http://eshop.macsale...puting/DDAMBS0GB/
New zoom zoom
http://www.9to5mac.c...es-bto-ssd-speed/

Micron RealSSD SATA III drive ... benchmarked at about double Apple’s BTO option(!!) on read speed (450MB/sec) and 50% faster writes (260MB/sec).
New Smokin'
     OK I am officially impressed with Windows 7 - (boxley) - (6)
         I installed it about 20 times in the last 2 days - (crazy) - (5)
             I suspect I'll do that next year - (SpiceWare) - (4)
                 Can they do two drives? - (drook) - (1)
                     Yeah, can use external drives w/out any problem - (SpiceWare)
                 zoom zoom - (SpiceWare) - (1)
                     Smokin' -NT - (Another Scott)

I let her go after 4 hours, told her why, so she blamed me personally for ruining this country.
85 ms