IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Climate Change
One of the nagging questions I have had in my mind about actions against Microsoft is: How can they be trusted to adhere to whatever restrictions are placed on them? They have a well documented history of flouting consent decrees, laws, and even contracts to further their plans for industry domination.

The DoJ has just indicted the corporation of Arthur Andersen on criminal charges. This is pretty harsh--especially considering that the prosecutor, Michael Chertoff, is reliably Republican and that this indictment is effectively a death sentence for Arthur Andersen.

I admit that this indictment was not in any way politically difficult for the administration to make because of the animosity surrounding the Enron collapse and the long history of Arthur Andersen's unrepentant behavior over the years. I also admit that this could be a case of throwing a straggler to the wolves to appease the public's demand for blood. But still. . .

Even discounting the applicability of a criminal indictment against Microsoft Corporation or that such an action against Microsoft might be perceived by the public as impolitic, does anybody else think that there may be a climate change regarding the understood inviolability of corporations in this country? Does the precedent of the Arthur Andersen indictment free the courts and the states to use weapons and tactics previously considered to be unthinkable against wrongdoers like Microsoft?

As a member of the tiny minority of conservatives who believe that Microsoft deserves harsh punishment, I know that asking these questions is probably nothing more than making a wish. Just the same, am I wrong to be hopeful about this?
Mike
New The difference.
Enron failed.

MS is still making money.

We worship success. No matter how it is achieved.
New Another difference.
You're right about that.

Here's something else I missed: Arthur Anderson LLP is not publicly traded. There aren't legions of Andersen stockholders to cry foul about the indictment.

New Interesting how you rate those
They have a well documented history of flouting consent decrees, laws, and even contracts to further their plans for industry domination.

Your phrasing suggests that flouting contracts is more shocking than flouting laws. Sad to say, I don't doubt this is a common perception in bizness today.
===
I can't be a Democrat because I like to spend the money I make.
I can't be a Republican because I like to spend the money I make on drugs and whores.
New Re: Interesting how you rate those
The order was intentional. Thank you for catching it. This ordering follows the recently ascendant "no controlling legal authority" doctrine. I do not personally believe in it, but many do.
New Sadly - believe wishful thinking. But I share it :-)
New As much as I agree
As much as I agree that Microsoft deserves criminal charges for it's behavior, I don't have the least hope that it will happen.

The reason Enron turned into such a scandel has little to do with it's legal crimes and everything to do with the number of people who blame Enron for taking their money.

And it's not even the amount of money that Enron took really, it's the fact that people directly blaimed Enron for taking their money. MS has taken more money from more people over the years, that I'm sure of. But most of the money taken by MS gets written off as a cost of buisness, not as theft.

Jay
New Re: As much as I agree
I agree with you that the Enron fiasco is about the sudden discovery of a poster child that fits the need for a scapegoat for the burst bubble. I also agree that the action against Andersen is a direct result of the media frenzy surrounding Enron for the reasons I gave in my original post.

I wasn't really talking about an indictment of Microsoft (even though that would be my wish).

I was talking about a climate change under which it is no longer unthinkable to indict Andersen, a firm with 85,000 employees (28,000 in the US) because they should have known better than do what they did. In my eyes, if a Republican administration pulls-off this prosecution of Andersen for what is essentially betrayal of trust, then there is a message sent even if it will mostly fall on deaf ears.

As posted elsewhere, there are some significant differences:

* Andersen is not publicly traded. Microsoft has a bazillion stockholders.

* Enron was a failure. Microsoft rakes-in money. (Brandioch)
     Climate Change - (morganek) - (7)
         The difference. - (Brandioch) - (1)
             Another difference. - (morganek)
         Interesting how you rate those - (drewk) - (1)
             Re: Interesting how you rate those - (morganek)
         Sadly - believe wishful thinking. But I share it :-) -NT - (Ashton)
         As much as I agree - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
             Re: As much as I agree - (morganek)

God help us when the effects of "switch" are toted up.
53 ms