IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I NEVER go from TV to audio
Cablebox / Blueray / whatever goes HDMI/rgb/rca/coax into the core entertainment system (in the old days I'd say stereo). Which right now is an Onkyo TX-SR804.

The output of that box then goes to the TV, and I control everything (mostly) with he Onkyo remote.

Even if your TV does audio "out", it will never pass all the required decoding side info based on your cable setup unless you end up with better equipment anyway, so you might as well do it right.
New the reason to do this
is for those times where an aux in is used on the tv...say, someone brings over a Wii...if you have the tv out to the amp you can then use the sound system as you would normally.
Sure, understanding today's complex world of the future is a little like having bees live in your head. But...there they are.
New No HDMI on my receiver, either.
The way I've got things at the moment:

Panasonic 42GT25 TV has 3 HDMI 1.4a inputs. #1 is to HD cable box. #2 is to BluRay.

Sony Receiver has a boat load of RCA I/Os, but no digital coax, no HDMI, no optical.

JVC VCR has RCA I/O.

Wii has RCA I/O (at least).

J has an iPod Touch (don't recall the generation at the moment). I understand a proprietary dock would be needed for things like on-screen display via a receiver, but one could just use the headphone jack.

JBL self-powered subwoofer has RCA input.

Infiniti bookshelf speakers (~ 18" high, 10" 'woofers') has spring clip thingies. (These speakers will likely be replaced before much else is done, as they have very poor bass and are a little too big for the space.)

No "home theatre" speakers, but want the option of adding a center channel and satellites later. I don't really see the need to go beyond 5.1; the other features on the receiver (# of reliable HDMI I/Os, etc.) will likely drive the choice.

I'd like to be able to hook all of these things together without much hassle. I don't see the benefit in running video through the receiver - the TV and BluRay do their own upscaling and so forth. At the moment I mainly would like to use better speakers with the TV, so sending audio from the TV to the receiver seems to be the way to go. We don't mind using multiple remotes - we've done it for years.

It looks like I will be in the market for a new receiver (after the speakers) in the somewhat indefinite future.

Am I thinking about this the wrong way?

Cheers,
Scott.
New Choice situation
If the issue is to preserve cash flow, then you want the things that have the most impact 1st, ie: decent speakers.

I have a pair of ridiculously cheap ($99) Radio Shack Optimus Pro LX5s. Love them. The only decent speaker they ever sold, and they don't sell it anymore. Oh well.

So sure, I understand. But I also remember the 1st time I went from speakers plugged in to the TV to a full 7.1 environment (I'm 5.1 now, room's too small for 7.1). Full immersion at home is "different", and until you experience in your own environment, there is nothing I can say that can explain it.
New Second that.
Very few TVs have anything like decent speakers. Only exception I've ever encountered was my old JVC 66cm.

Currently I am using two 70 litre boxes built from kits with wonderful Vifa drivers. I shudder to think what they should be worth now if you were to buy them built. I paid AU$700 for them about 20 years ago.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New Yup, same situation here
The stereo is good enough for me. No, it's not as good as 7.1, or even 5.1, but good enough. I can get an active converter -- as soon as I find one that handles all the permutations that can come from the optical out (Dolby, etc.) -- for probably $30-$40, a new stereo would be at least three times that. And of course it's an integrated stereo, not a separate receiver and amp setup that would let me just swap out the one component.
--

Drew
New Found a $0.00 cost solution.
I just noticed my cable box (SA 4240HDC) has RCA audio output jacks. Hook up the cables, turn off the TV speakers, set the receiver input to TV, done. The BluRay box has RCA audio outs as well. Maybe you can do something similar?

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New No cable box
Cable goes right into the TV. When/if I switch to dish or digital cable that might become an option. Still won't help for DVDs or streamed movies from the Wii, so now that I think about it that's not much of a solution in any case.
--

Drew
New Why not?
Agreed, if you don't have a cable box it won't help, but the others should be fine. My Wii, VCR, DVD and BluRay all have RCA audio outs. You should be able to plug them into your receiver, too. What am I missing?

Cheers,
Scott
New Two problems
First, it's an integrated system, not a dedicated receiver, which means there's only one available AUX input.

Second -- and this is admittedly just a convenience thing -- the stereo remote has been lost for a while now. Anything that runs right into it needs it's own remote.
--

Drew
New Ah, Ok.
One can only fit so many round pegs in trapezoidal holes.

Here's a $25 receiver solution. ;-) http://cgi.ebay.com/...sh=item4157037f66

I wouldn't necessarily recommend that though - it's the first thing that popped up on a quick eBay search. ;-) (It's the same model as my receiver and has the same limitations. No mention of the remote that should come with it.)

Oh well. Gotta run.

Cheers,
Scott.
     Panasonic 42GT25 plasma HDTV and accessories. - (Another Scott) - (23)
         Re: Panasonic 42GT25 plasma HDTV and accessories. - (beepster) - (2)
             Yes, but nothing on-line there looks appealing. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Re: Yes, but nothing on-line there looks appealing. - (beepster)
         not too bad a price - (boxley) - (1)
             They've got a variety of models. - (Another Scott)
         There's always at least one more thing to buy... - (Another Scott) - (17)
             Same issue here - (drook) - (11)
                 I NEVER go from TV to audio - (crazy) - (10)
                     the reason to do this - (beepster)
                     No HDMI on my receiver, either. - (Another Scott) - (8)
                         Choice situation - (crazy) - (1)
                             Second that. - (static)
                         Yup, same situation here - (drook) - (5)
                             Found a $0.00 cost solution. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                 No cable box - (drook) - (3)
                                     Why not? - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                         Two problems - (drook) - (1)
                                             Ah, Ok. - (Another Scott)
             Just ordered some JBL speakers - Harman's having a sale. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                 dont they have garage sales around there? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                     Sure. Doin my part to keep the economy goin... -NT - (Another Scott)
                 I'm currently using some JBLs at home - (jake123) - (1)
                     Re: I'm currently using some JBLs at home - (beepster)

Just to be fair, there's no evidence he actually knows what happened in the 1800's.
62 ms