IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I am.
They want to know about alternatives. Some of the board members are familiar with Notes from their jobs, and want to know if they can get something like that. I'm pretty much the IT board member dude, and so I need to do some research to show that using our already implemented Google Apps for My Domain is a much better option.

Google Apps is implemented because I implemented it last fall. Takeup has been a problem though; most of the people on the board are not technically oriented, and a couple of them have nearly no experience using computers at all.

Seeing as you're talking, the charity in question is the Joe Chithalen Memorial Musical Instrument Lending Library. You can find it at http://joesmill.org. Basically it's a library for musical instruments. You can sign out an instrument for a month at a time. It's oriented towards giving kids of people who normally can't afford to buy a musical instrument access to them.

I played in several different bands with Joe when I was a younger man and he was still alive. He was a great player and a good man.
New Great training is a pshychological lock-in
Notes is a big, lumbering beast. It's only used by big orgs that can afford big training programs. And once they've trained everyone, they've minted a new generation of users who believe that that's how computers work. Every new thing requires extensive training because it's just sooooooo complicated.

Tell someone in that category that this new thing won't take any training because it's so much simpler, and they just assume it's not doing something that they need. They don't know what that might be, but there's got to be something it's leaving out.
--

Drew
New Well, it's really clear that
I'm going to have to spend some time at a meeting giving them some training. Question is when we can pull that off...
New And great reason to kill it
Notes is dying at my job, being replaced by gmail.
Yay!
New Setup the domain they have...
with full non-profit access.

They get *WAY more e-mail space than they can use... and lots of online storage for all kinds of documents and pictures and PDFs and so on.

Its doing damned near everything I can think of in document management. Best part is they can do things from home or work or *anywhere* and update the documents right there on the screen in the web browser.
Expand Edited by folkert Feb. 15, 2011, 02:29:27 PM EST
New That's already been done
I think it's dumb, but they're asking me, so I'm looking. There are real problems with the idea of locating all the data on one of their own systems... that means that they're taking on maintaining a full time broadband network to the actual library, and keeping a machine run and administered full time.

I'm mostly looking to put together a good presentation that shows the best possible scenario... and why google is both better and cheaper for them. Given the tool Crazy mentioned, and the setup and dev time involved in making it work for them, I think that it should be an easy presentation to make.
     A quick question - (jake123) - (14)
         I thought lotus went opensource -NT - (boxley) - (3)
             I'm willing to bet it ain't free - (jake123)
             Nope - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 drain brammage symphony is what I wanted - (boxley)
         Does it have to be local? - (mvitale) - (7)
             NOOOO KIDDING! - (folkert) - (6)
                 I am. - (jake123) - (5)
                     Great training is a pshychological lock-in - (drook) - (2)
                         Well, it's really clear that - (jake123)
                         And great reason to kill it - (crazy)
                     Setup the domain they have... - (folkert) - (1)
                         That's already been done - (jake123)
         How's this look? - (crazy) - (1)
             That's got potential - (jake123)

Is this thing on?
146 ms