IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Heh. Airports are a favorite target
of this type of multiuser scam. I just got back from Toronto, where they have a wonderfully convenient downtown airport on a small island that's part of the complex forming the harbor. The only inconvenient thing about it is that to get to it you have to ride a ferry across the channel -- the guys told me it is, or was, in the Guiness Book of World Records as the world's shortest ferry ride (it's around a hundred yards or so).

Trouble is, the Condo Commandos have taken over the waterfront, and now that they're there, they don't want no !#%$$#@ buzzy little airplanes running around in the picture windows of their $300,000 Homes in the Sky. That means that if the subject of building the bridge they've been charging ferry tolls for (CAN$30 round trip, unless you work there!) comes up, dozens of people will stand around in the area chanting the CC's Magic Mantra: Don't Hurt Property Values.

Happens all over. People build right up to the fence, then [the horror! the horror!] discover that there are airplanes coming by! Right over their house! The city council Must Do Something!

If I were an airport manager, I'd hire a series of people, probably college students, and give them a little pickup and a supply of signs. Whenever they found a surveyor's stake, a hole not dug by an animal, or a stone lying on a stone within the airport's operating area, they would put up a sign reading:

Airport nearby
Airplanes make noise
Airplanes sometimes crash
Talk to your RealtorTM about Airplanes Nearby!

If they then returned and found that the sign had been taken down, they would call the airport, which would respond with a construction truck and crew. That crew would erect an identical sign, twelve feet high, made of steel and set in concrete.

Sheesh. I feel better now :-)
Regards,
Ric
New Sounds like my F=MA sign
Required reading before applying for a driver's license. One must demonstrate an understanding of kinetic energy, the EZ pushed-innedness (to use the technical term) of human bodies and the important 2 in that other equation [E=\ufffdMV2] equation, as regards velocity, mass and the amount of energy you are er "controlling".

Hah.. one in 20? 50? Tell me about the tailgaters at 65 mph..

Hmmm, dare I steal a piece of marlowesque boilerplate and observe that we have become a nation of ... whiners (and fucking ignorant ones at that) ??

Oh well,

Ashton

whining about the whiners
New one car lenth for every 10mph
TAM ARIS QUAM ARMIPOTENS
New Same stuff in Seattle.
s/stuff/shit

In downtown Seattle, we have the Viaduct. It's an elevated freeway that runs along the waterfront. There are condos in front of it and behind it.

Now, remember the big earthquake we had last year? Well, it did enough damage to the viaduct that we're going to have to replace it. Suddenly, all those condo owners behind it are demanding that any replacement be built under ground, at an *INSANE* expense.

Wankers.

I have a few other names for them, but I'll save it for the Flame On forum...
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New Universal situation
Same in Toronto, except no earthquake; the Condo Commandos just want the Gardiner Expressway buried out of sight.

Interestingly, a few people seem to have started a sort of underground, low-key program to remind people of just how much it's going to cost, and what they can't do about highways, etc. for the city if they do that.

I'll have to keep tabs on the situation.

Nearby in Fort Worth, the overhead for I30 is now gone; the last few bits of rubble are being carted away. That, though, was a matter of spending a few extra bucks to do it right when a major bottlneck intersection was done away with. The replacement isn't buried; it's built on air rights over the railroad yard.
Regards,
Ric
     DDT. - (acagle) - (16)
         *grin* - (imric) - (14)
             I remember you sharing that story before - (drewk) - (1)
                 Yup! -NT - (imric)
             Reminds me of an architect I knew - (ben_tilly) - (11)
                 Not just architects; Greed is now a commodity - (Ashton) - (6)
                     Works the other way also - (boxley)
                     Heh. Airports are a favorite target - (Ric Locke) - (4)
                         Sounds like my F=MA sign - (Ashton) - (1)
                             one car lenth for every 10mph -NT - (boxley)
                         Same stuff in Seattle. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                             Universal situation - (Ric Locke)
                 There's an article in the NYT... - (neelk) - (3)
                     Zoning is a forum by itself - (boxley) - (2)
                         Re: Zoning is a forum by itself - (neelk) - (1)
                             Three comments - (ben_tilly)
         Ancient History - (morganek)

I promise you that if I am compelled to turn to the Dark Side on this issue you will come to yearn for the suave ripostes of CRConrad.
102 ms