IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Speaking of which...
Why not make the descendants of the slavers pay reparations to the descendants of the slaves?

Most American "blacks" are both, and therefore owe reparations to themselves. When they figure out the accounting, they can leave out people like myself who had nothing to do with the entire mess either way. After all 3/4 of my grandparents entered the US after the Civil War, and my mother's father came from a group that had enough troubles of their own, thank you very much.

Sounds fair to me...

Cheers,
Ben
"... I couldn't see how anyone could be educated by this self-propagating system in which people pass exams, teach others to pass exams, but nobody knows anything."
--Richard Feynman
New Fair 'nuff!
Let me see if I can count my ancestry off the top of my head. (I had an aunt get a bit fanatic about this as to *specific* tracing, I'd have done better on my 10th grade school report of she'd gotten interested earlier. :=) (Unfortunately, she's also big in flying saucers, VonDanikan, and so forth, but I think I trust ancestrial fanaticism more than I do Von Danikan.)

Some Cherokee. The ancestry on my grandfather's site is not very clear, but you can *see* some Indian (and family lore says it is Cherokee). The rocking chair in his home would (supposedly) rock with the Ghost of Redfox. Someone able to point me toward some supposed Cherokee Indian named Redfox, please do.

"Harris". That implies England. (unless you Nordish, Australian, or European people can come up with another explanation.)

Some Scottish. Clan MacNeil, via my fraternal grandmother who was supposedly (but never actually) adopted. Illegitimate birth, married my grandfather. Haven't traced that back to point of immigration, but my crazy aunt is convinced of it. (That's reasonably good.)

Some German (might be hard to trace exactly, but "mingus" is a clue). Possibly immigrants in the post-Civil War era. (Alternately, it might be from German Hessiens from the Revolution. Establishing a homestead in Kentucky might have been pretty attractive to the former Hessien mercenaries stranded in the now-United States. Record keeping there would be scanty at best.)

Africans? Have no idea. You've seen the murkiness of my lineage, may very well have some.

I can't say for sure my American ancesters weren't slave-owners, but before I'd even consider reparations, I'd want any claimants to document *exactly* my ancestry through a slave-owning person, and the *exact* ancenstry and lineage of any person wishing to make a claim upon me.

If they could actually do so, the cost of actually documenting it would probably exceed any cost I might repay, good fucking luck, you dumbasses.

[the edit was to add the Africans comment]
"I didn't know you could drive to Europe." -- An eavesdropper, piping in when he overheard a conversation about someone who had driven to Montreal.
Expand Edited by wharris2 March 31, 2002, 11:26:13 PM EST
Expand Edited by wharris2 March 31, 2002, 11:27:13 PM EST
New Harris English? I'd have thought that's Scots too, given...
...how close it sounds to "Haggis"! :-)

Uh, no, what I *meant* to say, was, ...given the Harris tweed is from somewhere up there. (I think -- Peter?)

Oh, and personally, I can't say I think "Mingus" sounds very German, but then I'm frightfully out of touch on that front.

HTH, FWIW, YMMV, etc...
   Christian R. Conrad
Of course, who am I to point fingers? I'm in the "Information Technology" business, prima facia evidence that there's bats in the bell tower.
-- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=27764|Andrew Grygus]
New "Mingus" probably (intentional?) misspelling of "Mengus"
quick google search finds this [link|http://popp-family.rootsweb.com/MengesMingusGenealogyReportFrame1Source1.htm|source].
The best scale for an experimental design is ten millimeters to the centimeter.
New Maybe intentional, maybe not
Might have been one of those immigration officials doing their thing - you know, "I don't understand what the hell they said, but it sounded like 'Mingus', so that's what I'll write on their immigration papers". :=)
"I didn't know you could drive to Europe." -- An eavesdropper, piping in when he overheard a conversation about someone who had driven to Montreal.
     Reparations in court - (SpiceWare) - (12)
         Most being rhetorical questions - (wharris2)
         Re: Reparations in court - (JayMehaffey)
         They wish to piggyback on the WW2 slave labor suits - (boxley)
         Blacks have trapped themselves . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             My wife proved that in college - (drewk)
         If they get this then... - (ben_tilly) - (6)
             You've got many Americans with Cherokee - (wharris2) - (5)
                 Speaking of which... - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                     Fair 'nuff! - (wharris2) - (3)
                         Harris English? I'd have thought that's Scots too, given... - (CRConrad) - (2)
                             "Mingus" probably (intentional?) misspelling of "Mengus" - (Silverlock) - (1)
                                 Maybe intentional, maybe not - (wharris2)

Is this thing on?
81 ms