IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Rolling blackouts in Texas
Still 24 out and I've lost power twice so far.

Kinda wonder how efficient electric heating is when you consider that entire neighborhoods, like mine, use gas for heating, but pretty much everybody uses electric for A/C.
New Pretty bad.
Heat is "low quality" energy. Electricity is "high quality" energy generated from heat with a considerable conversion loss. Conversion back into heat is fairly efficient, but you've already paid the cost.

Here in California, back in the late 50s and very early 60s, communities of "Medallion Homes" were being built with great ballyhoo from the electric companies. All electric, no gas. "This is the future!" Nuclear plants were supposed to produce electricity "too cheap to meter", remember, and a lot of people suckered for this.

Later they found it nearly impossible to sell these Medallion Homes because the heating costs were horrifying, even here in Southern California.
New Looks like it's due to power plant problems
and not lack of normal capacity.

http://fuelfix.com/b...olling-blackouts/
A higher-than expected surge in power use due to the cold weather, combined with up to 50 power generating units going offline unexpectedly, led to the emergency.
New Good thing Mexico sends more than people north

Mexico provides electricity to ice storm-hit Texas

Mexico will provide electricity to Texas to help the state weather an ice storm that has forced rolling blackouts.

Mexico's Federal Electricity Commission says it has agreed to transmit 280 megawatts of electricity to Texas between Wednesday and Thursday night.

A commission statement says the electricity will be transmitted at interconnection points in Nuevo Laredo - across the border from Laredo, Texas - and Piedras Negras, which sits opposite of Eagle Pass, Texas.

http://www.chron.com...itan/7410176.html

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from."

-- E.L. Doctorow
New And France sends electrons west
Power surges called the TV pickup are unique to Britain. The engineers at the National Grid control centre brace themselves each time Eastenders ends and 1.75 million kettles get switched on.
http://www.bbc.co.uk...timebritain.shtml

cordially,

(oh, and to AG above: I well remember "Medallion Homes" from my LA boyhood. What folly!)
New Doubtless you recall also, a Mr. Reddy Kilowatt?
-- the spokes-puppet for these abortions which, not unlike The 6000 Year Old Earth: thought that 'F=MA' was an inconvenient truth postulated by some anti-bizness junk-science.

Last I heard, Mr. Kilowatt was seen advising one R. Reagan about space umbrellas to protect the Right-eous ... all in a day's work for.. Bicycle Repairman.
New Mr. Reddy Kilowatt
Last viddied with mine own eyes at a power plant on the outskirts of Cedar City UT at the end of 1978. RK on the sign; towers, wires, transformers, smokestacks; gigantic mounds of coal (I had not known prior to that time that coal was the base of electric power generation that far west).

cordially,
New Last I saw of Mr. Ready . . .
. . was on the marquee of the old electric office on Caheunga Blvd. in Hollywood, now gone for some decades.

I think he had to buy a one way ticket to the Bahamas when "too cheap to meter" didn't work out.
New Mexico cancelled the offer
The cold crippled some of their power plants as well, taking offline 1000 megawatts.

http://abcnews.go.co...Story?id=12833652
New Re: Rolling blackouts in Texas

ERCOT finally moved to this power pool formation about a decade ago. But there’s a limit to this, because Texas chose decades ago to limit its transmission interconnections with other states, so as to avoid the “interstate commerce” that would trigger Federal jurisdiction. It’s the Rick Perry attitude towards whether they’re part of the Union or not.

Texas stands alone, and the interconnections it has with other states are both limited and of a different type (Direct Current), which aren’t free flowing; they’re highly controlled.

What that means is that when something happens in Texas, it doesn’t affect surrounding systems like Southwest Power Pool, and vice versa. But the price they pay is that when they need help, they don’t necessarily get it. And when there’s a severe emergency, as happened this week, their whole system becomes vulnerable, just to please an ideological insistence to stand alone.

If Texas had been more interconnected with the US, the way the entire Eastern Interconnection (MISO, SPP, PJM, NY, NE, etc) are interconnected, it’s entirely possible that the combined system would have automatically fixed the problems before the lights in Texas went out. It’s just physics.

When an operating plant trips off, standby operating reserves automatically kick in, and if those trip too, other plants should kick in. Further, in a fraction of a second, the voltage frequency drops across the transmission grid, and [local] voltage support may also suffer. When that happens, the ISO’s system dispatch automatically sends signals to many other generators to ramp up, to bring supply back in balance with demand and raise voltage levels to reliable levels.

Again, we don’t know the exact sequence of the Texas failure. But it’s likely that if Texas had been more strongly interconnected with the US, the entire Eastern Interconnection would have instantly responded to the frequency/voltage dips and immediately brought more generators on line in surrounding states. So even if other plants in Texas tripped off, as they apparently did, extra power from plants in Missouri and Illinois and Ohio would have kept the lights on in Texas.

That would have avoided rolling blackouts in Texas’ cities. It would have kept the electric compressor/pumps running in northern Texas that send natural gas to Northern New Mexico, which lost gas supplies for heating in the middle of winter.

In unity, there is strength, safety, reliability. We know this. We’ve had 100 years of electricity system developments to prove it, over and over.

http://my.firedoglak...-mccaskills-head/

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from."

-- E.L. Doctorow
New not really a good argument there
this "unity" caused 55 million people across Ontario and 8 states to lose power for a longer period of time than those of us affected by the controlled, rolling, blackouts were.

http://en.wikipedia...._Blackout_of_2003
New Yeah, it's really too bad
that US private infrastructure wasn't developed and maintained properly to deal with the growing demand for electricity, and caused all the other electrical systems tied to it to trip out.

In short, the real problem wasn't interconnectedness; it was that one of the parties to it weren't fulfilling their responsibilities to maintain their infrastructure, in order to increase profits.
New I see a number of mentions of
Canada, Ontario, Québec, etc. here that aren't tied to US power outages.

http://en.wikipedia...._of_power_outages
New No... the point there
was that the cascading failures that led to the great blackout were because of poorly maintained infrastructure in (IIRC) Ohio, which led to a massive failure (high tension long distance infrastructure wires literally melting) causing a massive failure of the ability to maintain the system's balance, leading to the progressive scramming of reactors across those areas.

Not weather related. Strictly shitty maintenance on the part of the utility that was supposed to be taking care of it.
New thing is
1 private company screwed up, and you're apparently putting blame on all of the "US private infrastructure".

While it wasn't weather related, it could easily have been. A single point of failure should not be able to wipe out power for that many people over that widespread of an area. That fact that it could makes linc's whole "unity is better" argument fall flat on its face.
New More than one
The power companies here laid off a majority of their maintenance staff and came up with a mutual help plan to borrow each others assets if needed. They ignored normal maintenance until failure. When it dropped in the pot, there was a lot more than they could deal with. It was more than one private company. And those companies ARE the regional infrastructure. They just slacked off to make more money.
New The findings in wiki
put it on FirstEnergy due to lack of tree triming in Ohio, combined with some software bugs that suppressed information for over an hour that would have let them know about the problem.

It doesn't mention if others slacked on their maintenance.

Well well - this bit seems interesting:
The extra publicity given to Ontario's need to import electricity from the United States, mostly due to a decision of the government not to expand the province's power generating capabilities, may also have adversely affected the Conservative government.
So by having "unity", you can blame your own shortcomings on others...
New Re: The findings in wiki
The tree trimming was part of it. They also lost a couple of sections of high tension lines which really screwed things up. I don't think that had anything to do with trees.
Two of our friends and one of my wife's extended family were among the people laid off. They were pretty bitter an vocal about the under the table deals that were made to enable their removal. The companies didn't really care about maintenance and they underestimated how much could go wrong in that short a time. They still got their bonuses and rate hikes, so it's all good.
     Rolling blackouts in Texas - (SpiceWare) - (17)
         Pretty bad. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             Looks like it's due to power plant problems - (SpiceWare)
         Good thing Mexico sends more than people north - (lincoln) - (5)
             And France sends electrons west - (rcareaga) - (3)
                 Doubtless you recall also, a Mr. Reddy Kilowatt? - (Ashton) - (2)
                     Mr. Reddy Kilowatt - (rcareaga)
                     Last I saw of Mr. Ready . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
             Mexico cancelled the offer - (SpiceWare)
         Re: Rolling blackouts in Texas - (lincoln) - (8)
             not really a good argument there - (SpiceWare) - (7)
                 Yeah, it's really too bad - (jake123) - (6)
                     I see a number of mentions of - (SpiceWare) - (5)
                         No... the point there - (jake123) - (4)
                             thing is - (SpiceWare) - (3)
                                 More than one - (hnick) - (2)
                                     The findings in wiki - (SpiceWare) - (1)
                                         Re: The findings in wiki - (hnick)