IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Prediction
Several of the new batch of right-wing Governors are going to neglect certain State functions to the point that Federal takeovers will happen. Budget cutting by refusing to write the checks. In particular, the Interstate highways in several states. And one of those states will be Wisconsin.

Scott Walker has a history of that kind of thing as Milwaukee County Executive.

Just a prediction.
---------------------------------------
I think it's perfectly clear we're in the wrong band.
(Tori Amos)
New Dunno. Everyone seems to want to keep taxes off the table.
I don't know how much longer everyone can muddle through with huge cuts and absolute refusal to raise taxes.

There may be a lesson from Arkansas, but probably the wrong one will be learned: http://www.stateline...?contentId=443566

Arkansas was already in bad shape when the Great Depression hit. In 1927, the state took over the task of building highways from local authorities, because the locals built far more roads than they could pay for. The state takeover included new revenue for the roads, but it also authorized the state to build even more highways.

The result, said University of Arkansas Little Rock history professor Fred Williams, is that the state debt mushroomed. The local economy took a big hit when a third of the state flooded in 1927, and the stock market crash two years later made things worse. By 1933, Arkansas piled up $160 million in debt. That meant, of its annual $14 million budget, the state spent $13 million on debt service for roads.

The state simply couldn’t keep up with its bills. In 1933, Arkansas defaulted on its bonds — the only state to do so during the Great Depression — and its state government essentially functioned on federal money for two years. It started digging itself out only when it passed a sales tax, and even then, the state had to stop building roads for 16 years.

The Great Depression default wasn’t Arkansas’ first missed debt payment. The state was one of eight states, along with the territory of Florida, to miss its bond payments in the early 1840s.

That wave of defaults came in the wake of the Panic of 1837, a banking crisis that triggered a five-year recession. Generally, the Northern states of Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan and Pennsylvania were unable to pay debt service for bonds they used to build canals and other infrastructure improvements. Arkansas, Louisiana and Mississippi in the South, along with the territory of Florida, ran into trouble when state-backed banks for large landowners became insolvent.

The defaults didn’t cripple the states’ ability to borrow for long, but, in Mississippi’s case, the state’s refusal to pay bondholders hung over the state government until 1996. That’s when the state Supreme Court dismissed a case brought by the heirs of British bondholders who sought $13.8 million for the $1.5 million of debt they held, plus 152 years of simple interest.

There are Republican noises about letting states declare bankruptcy (as a supposedly "pain free" way to screw union contracts), but I don't see many taking it seriously. It's hard for me to imagine a federal takeover until a state raises taxes and shows that that's not enough. Given the way California has muddled through (so far), I expect the kick-the-can-down-the-road approach to continue for a while yet.

The problem with state budgets isn't "out of control spending" (Hi Beep!), or teachers' unions or pension costs, it's that tax revenue fell off a cliff. Some temporary spending reductions may be needed, but taxes need to be increased on those who gained most of the benefits during the last 10+ years. There's a fundamental unfairness in letting the well-off make the same contribution to state expenses (or even get tax cuts!) while the middle and the poor take the overwhelming majority of the reductions. Attacking Medicare or public employee pensions is a distraction that shows that the Republicans making these noises aren't serious. (Employee pensions are part of total compensation. If states cut pensions, or make pension or insurance payments more expensive for employees, there's the risk that people will leave. Or that states will be forced to pay higher salaries making the "savings" a wash. If there are going to be serious cuts, they must be shared. For state budgets, as for just about everything, TANSTAAFL.)

States should be continuously looking at ways to perform their duties better. But falling for simplistic slogans about solutions while ignoring the cause of the problem isn't the way to do it. Walker seems to be of the simplistic slogans school - http://www.wuwm.com/...hp?articleid=7679

Cheers,
Scott.
New Walker's Schtick
as Milw. Co. Exec has been to "not raise taxes." Which is bullshit, the taxes have gone up continuously under his kabuki.

His thing was he flat-out refused to authorize tax increases, inflation and declining base be damned, and eventually the board would have to override his veto and do their own budget. The bills eventually got paid, and he got to claim he never raised taxes. A real conservative would have played it straight and actually provided leadership instead of playing games. And we probably would have ended up with lower taxes.

A big piece of that was that he refused to pay for people to staff the county welfare stuff, for the biggest city in the state. Filing for unemployment, or making any change to any related stuff, in Milwaukee meant hitting redial for several hours, and then once you managed to not get a busy signal, being on hold for several more hours. I am not exaggerating. When I got laid off, it took me 7 hours of phone time to file, and about 5 minutes of that was spent talking to somebody. Eventually the State took over. Electing this clown Governor was insane.

I predict that Wisconsin will be completely fucked over if not bankrupt before his one term is over. And the Feds taking direct control of the I system (which will happen in Tea Party states too. Wisconsin won't be alone, but based on the few little snows we've had so far, maybe the first.) will just be one of the more obvious symptoms. There will be others. The Feds will be bailing out Tea Party States all over the place. The Tea Party may well be the end of the Federalist idea, ironically completing what the old Republicans set out to do but taking it farther than they ever intended.
---------------------------------------
I think it's perfectly clear we're in the wrong band.
(Tori Amos)
     Prediction - (mhuber) - (2)
         Dunno. Everyone seems to want to keep taxes off the table. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Walker's Schtick - (mhuber)

Same thing we do every night, Pinky...
56 ms