The files on one of the disks that I'm transferring to the MacMini Server (actually, the new 1TB external drive) seem a little cranky.

To review:

1) My 2 previous Winders boxes (each running Win2k on Opteron processors) have been decommissioned. 2 ea 250 GB SATA drives in one, 1 ea 250 GB IDE drive in the other. Winders partitions formatted NTFS.

2) I tried to copy the data on one of the SATA NTFS drives to the MMS using a SATA/USB dock. OS X threw up the Error 36.

3) Used a Win7 Dell laptop with the same dock, and was able to transfer the files on the SATA drive to the MMS over the network.

But the IDE drive has been a little temperamental. Using a different dock connection, I've found at least 3 files where I get infinite seek retries, but chkdsk claims there's nothing wrong with it.

So, I wouldn't go as far as to claim that this "works perfectly" on Winders. But, yeah, I get your point.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who may try SpinRite on the IDE drive, but later. And who will revisit the SATA/USB dock on the MMS eventually as well.)