IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New latest responses to idiot intern
I'm behind schedule on the book, and attempting to catch up this weekend. My comebacks to the idiot intern who has been assigned to "edit" me follow:
Page 4: “marines” deliberately left uncapitalized (it’s “250 U.S. Marines,” but “250 marines”). See Chicago Manual of Style 13th Edition (hereafter CMS-13), 7.93.

Page 5: I don’t find “an estimated third of a million” to be significantly more awkward than your suggestion “nearly half a million,” but let’s compromise with “over a quarter of a million,” which has the virtue of being numerically closer to the actual figure than “nearly half.”

Page 5, penultimate line: No. That comma does not belong. On commas generally: Where your recommended placements do not offend me, I have generally accommodated you; elsewhere I have not. Please refer to the CMS-13 5.24-5.67. See also “open” vs. “close” punctuation, CMS-13 5.1-5.2

Page 11: Italics for “San Francisco,” yes; italics for “The,” no. See CMS-13 7.131 (note that it’s also “The New York Times,” and CMS is adamant and explicit in excluding the definite article)

Page 13: Had I meant “criticize,” I would not have not have employed “excoriate.” Be good enough to assume that I do not pluck words out of my ass.

Page 15: “April 18th.,” —As previously noted, I do not presume to alter the orthography and punctuation of primary sources. [X] typed it that way, and so it will remain.

Page 16: Again, while we may condense, we cannot otherwise modify primary sources.

Page 17: Fine, you can have “with a will,” although I can’t begin to imagine what the objection to it might be.

Page 17: See page 13. Sheesh.

Page 19: Ya know, upon reflection even I will concede that “raiments” is a trifle—how shall I put it—a trifle obscure for this century, but good lord, “an array” is an almost surrealistically unsuitable as a substitute. I’ve dropped the word altogether.

Page 20: The photograph dates from 2006. I don’t know that it’s necessary to state this in the caption.

Page 31: “far the largest” (vs. your “by far the largest”) is a perfectly acceptable and established usage, even if you are not familiar with it. I’ve rendered it here as “the largest.”

Page 33: Nix on your line 1 comma. Penultimate line, same paragraph, emphatically no on the comma. Absolutely not. You need to purchase a copy of the Chicago Manual and sleep with it under your pillow.

Page 37: Fine, your IMDB chops pass muster, but I can’t agree here. If [X] had been portrayed by, oh, James Mason or Leo G. Carroll, that would be worth mentioning, but since [Y] was an obscure (if obviously hardworking) character actor who spent almost his entire career in television and is today forgotten (I am willing to wager that if you stopped pedestrians on Market Street and asked them to identify [Y], you would reach your next birthday before anyone responded with the correct answer), and since he does not even appear in the film credits, naming him here is a distraction.

Page 39: “The Beaux Arts aesthetic has been relentless…” (“Choice of wording gives pause”) And I’m very glad of that. During the pause, the reader may call to mind the earlier discussion (p. 25) of the Beaux Arts “hierarchy of spaces.” Choice of wording stands.

Page 39, third paragraph: (Is “s” needed?) —Since there’s more than one conduit, I thought that throwing in the “s” would be a tidy and economical way of conveying the fact.

Page 39, third paragraph: I love a semicolon in its place. Its place is not where you have indicated, however. Better to split the sentence at that point.

Page 41, first line: Let’s just assume going forward that when I ignore your inserted commas I have my reasons.

Page 41, third paragraph: Your substitution of “utilized on the seismic retrofit” for “brought to bear on the project” strikes me as unnecessary, and would also involve us in a repetition of “retrofit” in consecutive sentences.

Page 44: 1880’s —Nix on the apostrophe. See CMS-13 6.9.

Page 45: [X] did not employ a comma where you wish to insert one, and even though I am inclined to agree with you here, we will respect his wishes given that we are quoting him.

Page 45, last line: No, this is not an appropriate place for a semicolon either.
I feel in a way like some fanatical Christianist waving the Holy Scriptures around when I cite the Chicago Manual of Style, but this tome has been my oracle for several decades now (I've sorta stopped with the thirteenth edition because the fifteenth seemed rather tarted up). I can't wait for her to throw whatever bullshit authority she's relying upon up at me: The AP Style Manual? The University of Chicago pisses on the Associated Press! Hell, even non-believers acknowledge a hierarchy of superstition, and grant the Church of Rome more street cred than the First True Bupkis Church of Holy Snakehandlers of Rectum, Alabama.

I enter the new year full of piss and vinegar, and particularly piss.

cordially,

New Restroom 2nd door on the left.
:-)

Happy New Year.
New ooh! can I repost the blockquoted material elsewhere?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New :-)
New On page 19
So she said, WTF is a raiment. For some reason, my mind went to tattered clothing, so of course I Googled it:
================================================================
http://dictionary.re...om/browse/raiment

Word Origin & History

raiment
c.1440, shortening of arayment "clothing," from Anglo-Fr. araiement, from O.Fr. areement, from areer "to array" (see array).
================================================================

And at that point, she went, AHA! It's an "array". Maybe a bit of programming background? She certainly should not be in a position to comment on your work, other than to say: AHA, so that's why I'm a moron.
New Nit
p.41: Anyone using the word "utilize" forfeits all right to criticize word choice.
--

Drew
New Perhaps when she writes her memoir
Editing the Obtuse Way,

she shall render these exchanges immortal in her anecdotal ref., Travels with Surly, wherein she notes your large deviation from, er, The Way?

"The more enlightened we become, the darker it seems to get."
-- Vance Rodewalt

New dammit! need to clean my keyboard
Travels with Surly ROFLMAO
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
     latest responses to idiot intern - (rcareaga) - (7)
         Restroom 2nd door on the left. - (jbrabeck)
         ooh! can I repost the blockquoted material elsewhere? -NT - (boxley)
         :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
         On page 19 - (crazy)
         Nit - (drook)
         Perhaps when she writes her memoir - (Ashton) - (1)
             dammit! need to clean my keyboard - (boxley)

CFoC
47 ms