IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: You can't get rid of the time checks unless you want to
I haven't used a futex before, but I used mutexes a lot. The point of them was for the thread to relinquish the processor until a or one of a number of events occurred, when it could pick up in the proper place and carry out its task. The whole point was to make the cycles available to other threads or processes. If you gave the mutex a time, it was so the mutex wouldn't hang forever. The timer wasn't exact but it would give you an event shortly after the specified time. futexes must be seriously different.
New Thanks, that helps.
I'm going to have to read it a couple more times to completely absorb it, but that does help. Thanks again.
New It appears that they deserve it.
They are apparently trying to avoid using system resources for some reason and rolling their own "lightweight" mutexes. They appear to be useless outside the process that generates them. I usually used mutexes to sync up operations in separate process and IPC functions. I would never have looked that futexes. Looks like reinventing an inferior wheel.
As they used to say on Laugh In, "very interesting... but stupid"
New Anything by Ulrich Drepper, makes my head hurt.
A lot of people don't like him. He is sort of like the OpenBSD guy in that respect.
New Mutexes of any sort are tricky.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
     appeal to the java gods - (boxley) - (12)
         futex = fast userspace mutex. - (static)
         You can't get rid of the time checks unless you want to - (crazy) - (9)
             Re: You can't get rid of the time checks unless you want to - (hnick) - (6)
                 Futexes are tricky - (crazy) - (5)
                     Thanks, that helps. - (hnick) - (2)
                         Cursed as well - (crazy) - (1)
                             It appears that they deserve it. - (hnick)
                     Anything by Ulrich Drepper, makes my head hurt. - (folkert)
                     Mutexes of any sort are tricky. -NT - (static)
             the coder doesnt have a clue - (boxley) - (1)
                 It might be buried in a library he's using. - (static)
         potential partial solution - (boxley)

Whenever someone says, "Show, don't tell," aren't they violating that exact rule?
102 ms