IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Looks like Neanderthals cooked too
http://www.bbc.co.uk...ironment-12071424
New These two photos . . .
. . appeared on the same Los Angeles Times Web page (a couple months back). They were not associated - an omission which I correct here:

http://www.clovegard.../ajg/neander.html

New teddy is not the one to meet in a dark alley
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New Clarification.
The documentary I linked to regarded neanderthals as humans (albeit in a roundabout way) for the purposes of their topic. So no disagreement, then. :-)

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New Neanderthals were clearly humans.
It is now known there was some interbreeding between Neanderthals and Cro Magnon, thus pretty much the same species. Persons of European extraction have some of the Neanderthal genome (Africans do not).

Now it has been found that Neanderthals split into two groups early on - one went north into Europe, and the other went East. They also interbred, explaining some formerly mysterious genetic code found in the Asia-Pacific region.
New Vaguely interesting discussion...
... but I'm thinking no-one watched the linked documentary!

For the purposes of their topic, they spoke about Australopithecus, Homo Erectus, and Modern Humans. I kept expecting them to refer to the latter as Homo Sapiens. They didn't, but I'm pretty sure that's what they meant. These three very broad categories were enough to show the three major differences in diet and corresponding fundamental body differences: Australopithecus had teeth and gut suitable for mashing and digesting raw plant matter; Homo Erectus had teeth more suitable for tearing raw meat and had a larger brain from the better nutrients; "Modern Man" developed a gut better at digesting cooked food and an even larger brain from the even better nutrients. This was the program's main thrust.

I suspect if they had another hour to fill, they could have explored how Homo Sapiens developed cooking, including looking at which Neanderthals experimented with it. They could have also spent more time looking at what cooking does to food. But they didn't.

Wade.

New got a full house for the holidays
I plan to check it out after everybody goes home. However, the link currently shows the following message and starts to play a different video:
Asset not found
The video you requested does not exist or is no longer available.

New Yup, same as I got 2 days ago - she be gone.
New This it? Only 3:33 clip still available.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00r9svk Only a clip is still available. http://www.youtube.c...tch?v=A7JuMTlZVvM (3:33)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Maybe they limit it to Oz. Sorry, guys... :-(
I copied it again from the website. This definitely works for me.

http://player.sbs.co...Us-Human-Full-Ep/

However, the Horizon site does a good text summary of the contents.

Wade.

Expand Edited by static Dec. 30, 2010, 10:06:33 PM EST
     "Did cooking make us human?" - (static) - (23)
         you sure? - (boxley) - (12)
             That is a trained Bonobo. - (folkert)
             Show me them doing that in the wild. - (static) - (10)
                 you and greg are starting your new years resolutions early? - (boxley) - (1)
                     You're attributing sly humour to me? - (static)
                 Take an average population of humans ... - (drook) - (7)
                     You cannot speak of a human being - (jake123) - (6)
                         More than wired - (mhuber) - (3)
                             You mean all those "raw foods" nutters . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                 Yeah, but more or less on purpose - (mhuber)
                             The documentary covers this. - (static)
                         Cooking food made possible a larger or . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                             Makes grain almost food-like -NT - (mhuber)
         Looks like Neanderthals cooked too - (SpiceWare) - (9)
             These two photos . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 teddy is not the one to meet in a dark alley -NT - (boxley)
             Clarification. - (static) - (6)
                 Neanderthals were clearly humans. - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                     Vaguely interesting discussion... - (static) - (4)
                         got a full house for the holidays - (SpiceWare) - (3)
                             Yup, same as I got 2 days ago - she be gone. -NT - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                 This it? Only 3:33 clip still available. - (Another Scott)
                             Maybe they limit it to Oz. Sorry, guys... :-( - (static)

Well, there's always "Clippy".
223 ms