IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Domain name registration
Currently use register.com for 2 websites...both are due shortly....wondering who the folks here would recommend...and are there any "gotchas" to switching registrars
Sure, understanding today's complex world of the future is a little like having bees live in your head. But...there they are.
New I have all mine registered with . . .
. . Network Solutions, which is more expensive but safe and they provide good facilities for do-it-yourself management down to the A and M records.

I have had clients lose control of their domain with other registrars when the registrar was sold or merged and all parties disclaimed responsibility. Access to management was denied. In one case the person who did the registering was no longer available (died) and unreasonable proof of ownership (dead person's registration paperwork) was required to take control.

I have successfully taken control of domains at NS - not easy but their requiremens are reasonable. In one case I had to forge letterhead because the company named in the registration never actually existed - it started up a few months later with a different name.

New Moved mine to GoDaddy
One was with Network Solutions. Transfer was a bit of a nightmare because their system is schizophrenic. Someplace they still have data going back to the InterNIC period. It doesn't show up anywhere in the management UI, but they use it for domain transfer requests. Lots of fun to get that corrected... But once past that, they didn't try to hang on to the domain.

GoDaddy has the advantage that you can set up a domain alias to something like a Comcast account web space.

New Going to try the same...
Sure, understanding today's complex world of the future is a little like having bees live in your head. But...there they are.
New DreamHost has mine.
I've not done anything with it, but thus far it's been painless.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Scott.
New I use Melbourne IT.
They're expensive, but that means if you have a problem, there're just a phone call away.

I haven't done transfers in a decade and Melbourne IT made it much easier than Network Solutions (at the time).

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New Have been using Names4Ever for forever.
Have transferred domains from NetSol and a couple others over to my account on Names4Ever. There's always a hitch because the original company doesn't want to let go of their business...But it always goes through in the end. They don't provide (or at least, I don't pay for) DNS, but I have access to at least 3 or 4 different DNS servers depending on what my plan is for the domain name. I have 10 domains there, and nary a problem. I think it's like $10/yr/domain.
-Mike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New I think I pointed you at them...
I also use them...

They have been bought a couple of times and they have managed to be the saem excellent service after each purchase.

Cheap and Cheerful. I've done quite a bit of business with them... and now have 7 years left on my 10 renewal for my personal domains.

I've transferred ownership to other names4ever users and other domain registrar nary a hitch.
     Domain name registration - (beepster) - (7)
         I have all mine registered with . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         Moved mine to GoDaddy - (scoenye) - (1)
             Going to try the same... -NT - (beepster)
         DreamHost has mine. - (Another Scott)
         I use Melbourne IT. - (static)
         Have been using Names4Ever for forever. - (mvitale) - (1)
             I think I pointed you at them... - (folkert)

All Your Basic Auth... no, I just can't do it...
45 ms