PerlRequire conf/modperl.pl
PerlCleanupHandler Apache2::SizeLimit

and here is the script preload that handles it (modperl.pl):

use Apache2::SizeLimit;
$Apache2::SizeLimit::MAX_PROCESS_SIZE = 150000;
$Apache2::SizeLimit::MAX_UNSHARED_SIZE = 125000;
$Apache2::SizeLimit::CHECK_EVERY_N_REQUESTS = 5;

1;

It checks its own size and kills itself nicely before any more is served from it. It really has saved from runaway webservers... and other issues.

I don't know if PHP has a function similar, it would sure fix your issue lickety split.
New Surprisingly today...
Facebook pummeled us and our servers. One of our customers updated their facebook page with an image and a link. wham...

Doesn't help when Facebook does a continuous request to a CMS that will happily comply.

I had multiple apache instances about 2GB process size... but Apache couldn't/wouldn't kill it as it was still serving... no break and the CMS/modperl was just a churning... and churning... spinning.

Manual kills were the only option. It sucked... had to reboot one of the webservers as I didn't catch it in time ... and was out of memory and swap and was flailing at 200 load average trying to spawn new instances.... *BOOP* reset button.

Guess I'll have to run a cronjob that runs every 20 seconds and hammers the runaways... already do it on old versions of the CMS... guess I'll have to do it on the new(er) version.
     Need help analyzing web server performance - (drook) - (20)
         Wordpress is in PHP, isn't it? - (static) - (17)
             Yes it is - (drook) - (16)
                 PHP Memory limits. - (static) - (15)
                     What if there are multiple, conflicting calls? - (drook) - (14)
                         Two answers. - (static) - (13)
                             Just found php.ini has a 90M limit - (drook) - (12)
                                 Re: Just found php.ini has a 90M limit - (folkert) - (9)
                                     Noticed that recently too - (drook) - (8)
                                         That can happen if your software isn't - (jake123) - (7)
                                             But it is ... I already made sure of that ... oh wait - (drook) - (6)
                                                 CSS listed first on the page? - (malraux) - (5)
                                                     Don't think that's the problem - (drook) - (4)
                                                         Have you tried FireBug's Net tab or IEWatch? - (malraux) - (3)
                                                             That's where I get the 3-7 seconds for initial page load -NT - (drook) - (2)
                                                                 No long delay here + a couple of observations - (scoenye) - (1)
                                                                     Thanks for noticing the expires header - (drook)
                                 Not necessarily. - (static) - (1)
                                     Haven't played with it yet - (drook)
         Bleah you are using PHP. - (folkert) - (1)
             Surprisingly today... - (folkert)

Why do you ask me? You know I cannot do this thing anymore with the bugs.
69 ms