IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Let me take a shot
The camcorders that can connect to the Mac directly (or to Windows) are of the DV (Digital Video) variety. 8mm is, IIRC, analog.

So...you have to convert the analog video to DV format. Two ways of doing this:

- Get a DCV camcorder and essentially ignore all of your accumulated 8mm stuff.
(This is obviously a Bad Idea.)

OR

- Get an Analog/DV bridge such as the Dazzler. Do a search on Google with terms like 'analog' 'digital' 'video' 'converter' and you should pull up several references.

The advantages of the converter:
- You don't lose your analog video investment
- You don't have to buy all new DV equipment
- You can also import video from your VHS tapes.

So, it looks like you'll have to get *some* additional hardware (I think the Dazzler is about $US200 - $US300) but you'll be able to keep your Mac investment, at least.

As for compatibility with older players, I believe you're okay there but I don't have personal experience with this. At least, Apple says that iDVD will create discs compatible with players up to two years old or so.

Tom Sinclair
"Subverting Young Minds Since 03/13/2000"

"You won't get away with this," said Cutwell. He thought for a bit and
added, "Well, you will probably get away with it, but you'll feel bad about
it on your deathbed and you'll wish -- "
He stopped talking.
-- Cutwell tries to reason with the Duke of Sto Helit
(Terry Pratchett, Mort)
New Another option
Some DV cameras have analog inputs that allow you to use it as a converter. Depending on the converter you might find the price diff between it and the camera acceptable. I have access to a Sony model that allows this, though I haven't tried it in that configuration.

Also, IIRC the DVD writer used in the Mac is available for PCs (A Pioneer drive I think).
--
Chris Altmann
New Nit - there are some digital 8 mm camcorders.
They use something called "Digital8" format that isn't the same as DV.

Lincoln says he has 2 hour tapes - that means they're most certainly analog format (I've got an analog Hi8 Canon camcorder). Digital8 uses the same size tape as Hi8, but only gets 1 hour from a 2 hour tape.

To amplify some of your comments, Tom:

Assuming he doesn't want to buy a new camcorder, an interface box of some sort seems to be the thing he needs. E.g. Maybe something from [link|http://www.dazzle.com/buy/store_gut.html|Dazzle]. (Note I have no experience with these products.) I've read some stuff about dropped frames when trying to use the USB-interface devices or underpowered PCs. USB interfaces can be had for $70 or so, PCI interface cards and software are around $300. Also, video editing is very hardware intenstive, so be sure your Mac or PC is up-to-snuff.

Lincoln might want to read through some reviews at places like Amazon, [link|http://www.cdrlabs.com/articles/index.php?articleid=15|CDRLabs], [link|http://www.hwdaily.com/reviews/dazzle/dazzle.shtml|Hardware Daily] and [link|http://www.simplydv.co.uk/advc100.html|SimplyDV] in the UK.

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Thanks for the correction

Some additions of my own:

- I have a Dazzle bridge and it works quite well. (I use it to dub off VHS tapes into clips.)

- For video, you really should use Firewire. But recent Macs have that built in so that shouldn't be a problem. Don't know about USB 2.0 for DV, though.

- Agree about the hardware intensive nature of video editing. I'm not sure what the minimum CPU/RAM/HD is for decent results.

- Didn't know about digital 8mm. I've never owned a camcorder, though, so it's not surprising. Thanks for the informative nit.

Tom Sinclair
"Subverting Young Minds Since 03/13/2000"

Dickens, as you know, never got round to starting his home page.
-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)
New Hope I'm not too late...
NO DAZZLE! Cheap POS... Get a Formac Studio. I have one and it works well. Sony makes an analog to digital converter as well... I have been using the formac to transfer all of my analog hi8 movies to the Mac and then using iMovie (and Final Cut Pro) to edit out the "crap".

I'm sorry I didn't jump into this thread sooner, but my wife and I are expecting a little screamer any day now and I haven't had a chance to browse IWETHEY...

Lincoln, if you want to take this offline, I can provide you with an email address, as I had the same situation about a year ago. I tried about four different devices on the PC (including a Dazzle that came with a "multimedia" Dell. You don't want to go there.
Just a few thoughts,

Screamer

"I'll tip my hat to the new constitution, take a bow for the new revolution, smile and grin at the change all around, pick up my guitar and play, just like yesterday..."

P. Townshend

"Nietzsche has an S in it"
Celina Jones
New How do I contact you?
Amazingly enough, this past Sunday the newspaper ads had Walgreens, in their photo section, printing a coupon for transferring video to DVD for $30 + tax.

Granted, the amount of tapes I have multiplied by $30 comes close to a new G4 iMac, but not having to deal with it at all is VERY appealing. On the negative side, I'd have to make & send them a copy since I don't want to risk their damaging or even losing any of my tapes. Doing it myself would negate that worry. However, trying to find the time to do this would be tough right now.

Use this Yahoo email account address to reach me:
[golf][underscore][lover44][at][yahoo.com]
lincoln
"Four score and seven years ago, I had a better sig"
Expand Edited by lincoln April 9, 2002, 11:26:42 PM EDT
New Sent you an email about 3 hours ago...
let me know if you received or not... Just had a bit of fun with another analog to digital dilemna today... Making my four track Teac work on either a Mac or PC... Found that Peak LE on the Mac (system 9 only folks) is the way to go. Couldn't even get Windoze XP to continually recognize my Turtle Beach sound card... One more reason to downgrade... You'd think that with all the old VHS tapes, casette tapes, Super 8 movies, etc... laying around, that it would be a huge priority to make it easy to transfer these analog "files" to digital ones... Sadly, it has not been my experience.

Dan
Just a few thoughts,

Screamer

"I'll tip my hat to the new constitution, take a bow for the new revolution, smile and grin at the change all around, pick up my guitar and play, just like yesterday..."

P. Townshend

"Nietzsche has an S in it"
Celina Jones
     Connecting a camcorder - (lincoln) - (14)
         Forgot a point - (lincoln) - (7)
             Let me take a shot - (tjsinclair) - (6)
                 Another option - (altmann)
                 Nit - there are some digital 8 mm camcorders. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                     Thanks for the correction - (tjsinclair)
                     Hope I'm not too late... - (screamer) - (2)
                         How do I contact you? - (lincoln) - (1)
                             Sent you an email about 3 hours ago... - (screamer)
         DVD burning. - (static) - (4)
             Don't own any Apple products - (lincoln)
             Re: DVD burning. - (lincoln) - (2)
                 *grin* - (static)
                 How to convince... - (Meerkat)
         Praise from "Dr. Mac" - (lincoln)

Home of the hash-slinging slasher!
87 ms