1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New A new means of hooking a sucker, I think
I use skype to talk to friends in Italy. I've started getting these messages
Thursday, November 11, 2010
[9:17:08 AM] Update Information: WINDOWS REQUIRES IMMEDIATE ATTENTION
URGENT SYSTEM SCAN NOTIFICATION ! PLEASE READ CAREFULLY !!

http://www.updatevr.com/

For the link to become active, please click on 'Add to contacts' skype button or type it in manually into your web browser !

FULL DETAILS OF SCAN RESULT BELOW

WINDOWS REQUIRES IMMEDIATE ATTENTION

ATTENTION ! Security Center has detected
malware on your computer !

Affected Software:

Microsoft Windows Vista
Microsoft Windows XP
Microsoft Windows 2000
Microsoft Windows Server 2003

Impact of Vulnerability: Remote Code Execution / Virus Infection /
Unexpected shutdowns

Recommendation: Users running vulnerable version should install a repair utility immediately

Your system IS affected, download the patch from the address below !
Failure to do so may result in severe computer malfunction.

For the link to become active, please click on 'Add to contacts' skype button or type it in manually into your web browser!
[1:45:27 PM] Update Information: WINDOWS REQUIRES IMMEDIATE ATTENTION
URGENT SYSTEM SCAN NOTIFICATION ! PLEASE READ CAREFULLY !!

For the link to become active, please click on 'Add to contacts' skype button or type it in manually into your web browser !

FULL DETAILS OF SCAN RESULT BELOW

WINDOWS REQUIRES IMMEDIATE ATTENTION

ATTENTION ! Security Center has detected
malware on your computer !

Affected Software:

Microsoft Windows Vista
Microsoft Windows XP
Microsoft Windows 2000
Microsoft Windows Server 2003

Impact of Vulnerability: Remote Code Execution / Virus Infection /
Unexpected shutdowns

Recommendation: Users running vulnerable version should install a repair utility immediately

Your system IS affected, download the patch from the address below !
Failure to do so may result in severe computer malfunction.

For the link to become active, please click on 'Add to contacts' skype button or type it in manually into your web browser!

The thing is, I'm using linux for my skype machine. I'm pretty sure it's not a MS executable... This looks like another cute way to get suckers to download and run a virus. Or am I missing something?
New Similar ones / not so blatantly Alarmist
appeared in my Doze-98 daze, only a few. These were about a 'free scan' (which always, somehow.. indicated the need for this Magical WeFixItAll placebo), Right NOW, Kid.. I expect OS X ones to begin any day now.

(I still cherish the memory of the 8+ years of never a RRR on my 98-Lite© 'custom' 98 trash-free install in the bulletproof 600 MHz eMachine left-over, gotten from Geeks (-something) pretty cheap). Lite did exactly as it claimed, and I sent kudos +$, accordingly. I hear there's a version (was one?) for eXtra Pee as well, fwiw.. saves manually deleting all the crapware after-the-fact == start with already-clean Registry. They may have changed their name.

So ethics-free bizness is..
on the News at 11, still :-/
New I always find it amusing when their assumptions are wrong.
Obvious when a website tries to imitate an XP dialog box. When I'm in Opera. On Linux. Under WindowMaker. :-D

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New Lady doctor at one of my clients . . .
. . (not to me, to her office manager), "I gave them my credit card number, why am I still having this problem?"

Ofice manager, "NOOOOooooooo.......".

New Re: Lady doctor at one of my clients . . .
Doctors heh. Had one who called in starting screaming that the network was broken AGAIN them stumped back to his patients. It was just his way. Called the office manager in who was also his wife and pointed out where the puppy ate the wire under his desk. I left it to her to explain :-)
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New Looks like it.
I've had 2 more recent bouts with the "security manager" type bugs that came from infected pop-ups..and one that appears to have come from a 3rd party scroll-over ad...you really don't need to click anything anymore.
Sure, understanding today's complex world of the future is a little like having bees live in your head. But...there they are.
New In the battle for security vs convenience...
... convenience wins almost every time. Microsoft had a particularly difficult time learning that with Outlook and Office VBA some years ago, but most vendors stumble through that problem constantly.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
     A new means of hooking a sucker, I think - (hnick) - (6)
         Similar ones / not so blatantly Alarmist - (Ashton)
         I always find it amusing when their assumptions are wrong. - (static)
         Lady doctor at one of my clients . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             Re: Lady doctor at one of my clients . . . - (boxley)
         Looks like it. - (beepster) - (1)
             In the battle for security vs convenience... - (static)

Most of the posts on this thread are from some idiot named "this user is blocked."
46 ms