IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Win98 mup.sys issue?
So my son's computer started throwing BSODs a couple days ago. He didn't mention it to me until today. I have no idea if he's installed anything from the intarweb, and he's just as likely to have forgotten something he actually did as I am to not know the whole story in the first place.

So anyway. WinXP SP3. Rebooted to Safe mode a few times. Once it failed with Mup.sys being the last thing loaded. A couple of times I tried to use the Safe Mode System Restore (Recovery? Whatever.) dialogs to restore from some system checkpoints earlier this week. Both times, it failed about halfway through. I've gotten his WinXP CD, gone into Recovery Console, and run "chkdsk" -- that said the disk looked good. "chkdsk /p" said the disk reported some errors. "chkdsk /r" gets able halfway through and as far as I can tell, it hangs. I'll let it run for a while and see if it moves.

The computer itself is probably 4-5 years old. The hard drive is less than 2 years old.

Thoughts on how to fix this? Anyone?
-Mike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New Re: Win98 mup.sys issue?
can you rename mup.sys to mup.sys.old?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New Power supply? Memtest?
It sounds like a power issue to me. Do the voltages looks Ok in the BIOS?

Is the memory Ok? http://www.memtest.org/

In my experience, if it's not the hard drive or the RAM, then a hang failure is more likely to be the power supply than anything else. But I have very limited experience with PC failures so YMMV.

If you need to back the stuff up, this treated me very well when I used it: http://clonezilla-sysresccd.hellug.gr/

HTH. Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Its probably the hard disk.
Its got a bad spot nothing picked up and just happen to be mup.sys

rename it to something else and put a new one in place.

See if it works.
New It fixed itself.
No other explanation. I downloaded/installed/ran the MS Anti-Virus thing. Took an hour and a half, and found nothing. It just booted up this morning into Windows As Normal, with no input from me. Whatthefuckever.
-Mike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New Re: It fixed itself.
based on what you have said mike and from the experiences I get when I got out on service calls, I agree with the person above that said it sounds like a power supply issue.
New There's one possibility here...
that is that it might not be the computer's power supply at fault, but instead is what's coming out of the wall.
     Win98 mup.sys issue? - (mvitale) - (6)
         Re: Win98 mup.sys issue? - (boxley)
         Power supply? Memtest? - (Another Scott)
         Its probably the hard disk. - (folkert)
         It fixed itself. - (mvitale) - (2)
             Re: It fixed itself. - (NMI) - (1)
                 There's one possibility here... - (jake123)

Reply with that mantra and - I won't ever be seeing your unread gloat.
153 ms