IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Fsck me... Mark Shuttleworth abandons...
MANY MANY years of network transparency. Feck me. Actually, if this actually happens... and remove my ability to SSH and run GTK/KDE based apps from my co-workers machine and fix things for them... I'll be PISSED.

Also, many thing I install at work... require and X-Display. Feck me. Glad I still run Debian.

http://blogs.compute...erver_for_wayland
New We'll see.
From the SJVN link:

You won't need to give up X-based applications though to use Wayland. Shuttleworth also said, "We're confident we'll be able to retain the ability to run X applications in a compatibility mode, so this is not a transition that needs to reset the world of desktop free software. Nor is it a transition everyone needs to make at the same time: for the same reason we'll keep investing in the 2D experience on Ubuntu despite also believing that Unity, with all its GL dependencies, is the best interface for the desktop. We'll help GNOME and KDE with the transition, there's no reason for them not to be there on day one either."

You obviously know more about this stuff than me, but I wouldn't throw out the baby just yet. It's good to be working on new things that improve performance, etc.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who thought "everyone" was saying OpenGL was dead a few years ago, so is a little surprised about this.)
New I don't have a problem with that...
But if it impacts the network transparency I have now... slow as it can be sometimes, its *STILL* networking transparency that has worked for decades.

I'm skeptical. I'll give it a try, as long as OpenGL is the whole idea behind it... its gotta be better in performance... and its gotta be simpler... but I have to have my network transparency!
New Actually, here's what would be good with this
If you could run X and wayland at the same time, either by running an x server in a window or on another terminal.

I'm with you though. At my job, network transparency is a must-have. I *have* to be able to run X; wayland might be a nice add-on, but those times when I have to x into one of our production systems is not likely to go away, and I very much doubt wayland will be coming to our solaris boxen anytime soon.
New Looks like someone has reincarnated GGI.
Remember that? I never got to play with it, but it moved a lot of hardware-specific stuff down into the kernel out of X and put a lot of userland stuff, including X and the Kernel VTs, on top of it. Real cool stuff.

Unfortunately, Linus didn't like it and I imagine all those Xfree86 hardware driver writers were probably not real enthused, either.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New Keith Packard: Life after X
http://lwn.net/Articles/413335/

Lots of comments.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Been reading it today.
He makes a tons of points.

I still want my Network transparency...

Things have seriously changed... used to be heavy duty processing was expensive but displays were relatively cheaper.

Heck my Droid-X is more powerful than my Server downstairs and has more storage (24G) than the original disk space that the machine came with (9.1G).

Cheap local displays with lots of cheap local processing power has changed things a lot.

As long as I can tack on my network transparency and it works well... I don't care.
New Horses mouth.
http://www.novell.co...y/ir/message.html

Novell will continue to own Novell’s UNIX copyrights following completion of the merger as a subsidiary of Attachmate. Novell filed a Form 8-K/A with the SEC on November 22, 2010, with respect to the Merger Agreement.

Didn't the various recent trials show that the UNIX copyrights really weren't an issue anymore? Why does anyone care about the UNIX copyrights?

The patents are potentially a different story (but one would have to think that many of them are nearing expiration anyway.) There's a little more in TheReg - http://www.theregist...chmate_statement/

Cheers,
Scott.
New Errrm wrong post replied to.
New Also...
its about the sabre rattling and lawsuits being able to be brought. The "Fear" of legal problems surrounding Linux.
     Fsck me... Mark Shuttleworth abandons... - (folkert) - (9)
         We'll see. - (Another Scott) - (2)
             I don't have a problem with that... - (folkert) - (1)
                 Actually, here's what would be good with this - (jake123)
         Looks like someone has reincarnated GGI. - (static)
         Keith Packard: Life after X - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Been reading it today. - (folkert)
         Horses mouth. - (Another Scott) - (2)
             Errrm wrong post replied to. -NT - (folkert)
             Also... - (folkert)

So, we're the un-holy trinity?
92 ms