New Tom's Hardware Review.
42 - I shoulda known that...

http://www.tomshardw...t-linux,2774.html

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: Tom's Hardware Review.
Here is right from the last page of the article. Its the info Drook want:

The Straight Dope

We were beginning to wonder when we'd see Canonical pull off a successful .10 release; the past few Octobers have been pretty rough. When looking solely at the Desktop Editions, Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat is a mild success. Instead of using this October to experiment with half-baked software components, Canonical concentrated on refining the experience introduced in 10.04 LTS. On the other hand, this also means there aren't any killer reasons to upgrade to 10.10 if you're already happy with 10.04 LTS.

This really is a tough call. After all of the benchmarks and hands-on experience with Maverick Meerkat, we expected a concise thumbs up or thumbs down versus Lucid Lynx. Instead, what we have here is a mixed bag. Ubuntu 10.10 excels and falls short in an equal number of areas as 10.04 LTS. Therefore, our recommendation must also be a mixed bag.

If you're currently using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx and everything works, it might be a good idea to leave your install alone. After running it for six months, we can tell you that Lucid is rock-solid. Only time will tell if 10.10 is as good, and we only had a week with it. So, if reliability is ranked highly on your OS wish list, go with the LTS. But if you're experienced with Linux, or just the type who must have the very latest, there is nothing wrong with choosing Ubuntu 10.10, either. It all comes down to the type of user you are.
New Great review, thanks for the link
Not going to upgrade to 10.10. Looks pretty, but nothing I gotta have.
--

Drew
New I actually found it to be the best upgrade
went from 10.04 to 10.10, and it actually didn't break anything but my custom compiled audio firewire drivers for my focusrite.
New Faint praise, innit?
"It didn't break anything," isn't a reason to upgrade.
--

Drew
New More praise than I can give the past upgrades
They always broke something that I had to fix. This time it only broke the stuff that it could've been expected to break.

I also find it quite a bit snappier in the UI on my nearly ten year old laptop...
New Hmm, that might be worth checking, then
I, too, am using old hardware. Not ten years though, good lord. But snappier UI would be nice. Right now I don't know if it's the UI or the DSL that I'm usually waiting on.
--

Drew
New I had a 9.10 to 10.04 upgrade that broke nothing.
It didn't even do stupid things with the DVB firmware, which previous upgrades have screwed up. Well, misplaced.

Of course there's a caveat. I haven't tried the HID event layer for the IR remote yet. :-) Previous upgrades have invariably moved that around.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
     What's in the Ubuntu 10.10 release? - (drook) - (25)
         Apparently a few tweaks since 10.04. - (Another Scott)
         I've nto seen much in the way of bad... - (folkert) - (14)
             So what's the wow? -NT - (drook) - (13)
                 Wow... - (folkert) - (12)
                     So a good install - (drook) - (11)
                         Nope. You'd be good 'til December. - (folkert) - (10)
                             What does 11.04 do? -NT - (hnick) - (9)
                                 Changes... - (folkert) - (8)
                                     Got a pointer to a writeup? - (drook) - (7)
                                         Here: - (folkert) - (6)
                                             No more Gnome? Now that *is* interesting - (drook) - (5)
                                                 Very. - (folkert) - (4)
                                                     gnome? gngag -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                                         Re: gnome? gngag - (folkert)
                                                     But is it more lightweight? As in more responsive? -NT - (drook) - (1)
                                                         Perhaps. - (folkert)
         Tom's Hardware Review. - (Another Scott) - (7)
             Re: Tom's Hardware Review. - (folkert)
             Great review, thanks for the link - (drook) - (5)
                 I actually found it to be the best upgrade - (jake123) - (4)
                     Faint praise, innit? - (drook) - (2)
                         More praise than I can give the past upgrades - (jake123) - (1)
                             Hmm, that might be worth checking, then - (drook)
                     I had a 9.10 to 10.04 upgrade that broke nothing. - (static)
         Good timing - (crazy)

I hope you don't mind if I don't read this. I don't know if it's going where I don't want it to be going, but if it is going there, I *don't* want to go there, so the best place for me to be is here, not there, and here is where I'm staying.
*puts on blinders*
*whistles very loudly*
*claws out own eyes*
226 ms