IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Any examples of that?
I'd love to see an exhibition of the authentic vs. then current if you know of any. This is the first I'd heard of the difference.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New If I think of a good comparison I'll let you know . . .
. . but most current performance tends quite a bit towards original practice. It is not too useful to compare most older performances with recent ones because the musicianship standards of today are spectacularly higher for this type of music.

The main differences are lighter orchestration, faster tempos, and more freedom of expression for the musicians so they can make it actually sound like music. Earlier performances were often very metronome-like, even though the metronome had yet to be invented.

A number of groups now play early music with instruments constructed the way they were during the period. These generally have a lighter, crisper sound than those of the Romantic era, but some accuse them of being "wheezy". Very few, however, play natural horns or trumpets because it's just too hard.

Of course, we've had to suffer a few cranks like Nikolas Harnoncourt and his Vienna Concentus Musicus. He wrote voluminous notes on why his performances were "authentic", but apparently to him it couldn't be authentic unless it sounded bad. 20 years ago I had some of his recordings - but I gave them all away to someone with a tin ear.
New Sounds like my view of antiques
I can't watch Antiques Roadshow, because they're always telling people that cleaning up old furniture destroys the value. "Collectors really like the patina." You mean grime. A hundred years of dirt does not, in my plebeian opinion, improve the appearance of a table.
--

Drew
New Reminds me of fashions in singing.
I read somewhere that in Mozart's time, what people regarded as a high-quality performance would sound thin and lacking in low-end to our modern ears.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
     Well, the old coot actually was someone . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
         'That is not possible' (should have, '!!!') perhaps? - (Ashton) - (1)
             No '!!!' - (Andrew Grygus)
         Any examples of that? - (malraux) - (3)
             If I think of a good comparison I'll let you know . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                 Sounds like my view of antiques - (drook)
                 Reminds me of fashions in singing. - (static)

With the mochas he was strong.
76 ms