IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New IBM story
IBM and Intel decided to have a canoe race on the Hudson River. Both teams practiced long and hard to reach their peak performance before the race. On the big day, Intel won by a mile. The IBM management decided that a reason for the crushing defeat had to be found. A "Measurement Team" made up of senior management was formed. They would investigate and recommend appropriate action. They concluded that Intel had eight people rowing and one person steering, while IBM had one person rowing and eight people steering.

So IBM management hired a consulting company and paid them incredible amounts of money. They advised that too many people were steering the boat and not enough people were rowing. To prevent losing to Intel next year, the rowing team's management structure was totally reorganized. There would be four steering supervisors, three area steering superintendents and one assistant superintendent steering manager. IBM also implemented a new performance system that would give the one rower a greater incentive to work harder. The "Rowing Team Quality First Program" had meetings, dinners and included free pens for the rower. "We will give the rower empowerment and enrichments through this quality program," management said.

Next year, Intel won by two miles. Humiliated, IBM management laid off the rower for poor performance, halted development of a new canoe, sold the paddles and canceled all capital investments for the new equipment. Then they gave a "High Performance" award to the steering managers and distributed the rest of the money they saved as bonuses to the senior executives.
Alex

"Never express yourself more clearly than you think." -- Neils Bohr (1885-1962)
New That's not only an IBM story, it's also an...
...Intel story:

So next year, Intel had to settle for competing against AMD. And even though the Intel paddlers (*rowers*, in a *canoe* race? Naah!) paddled much faster than the AMD ones, AMD still won by half a mile.

So Intel management hired a consulting company and paid them incredible amounts of money. They advised that Intel's paddlers were too weak; AMD's paddlers just got more work done with each stroke. To prevent losing to AMD next year, the paddling team's management structure was totally reorganized. Yadda, yadda ...

And next year, AMD won by a whole mile.

Then the Intel management gave a "High Performance" award to the steering managers and distributed the rest of the money they saved as bonuses to the senior executives.

The moral of the story: Chose your "plucky young contender" protagonists better next time, Gramps -- just because IBM used to be the Evil Empire back in your heyday, is no reason to pick today's Other Evil Empire (besides the Borg of Redmond) as the hero of your tale.

Especially not when A) IBM seems to fairly conclusively have mended their ways nowadays (your story has, in a sense, passed its sell-by date by about ten years or so), and B) the identity of the contender didn't really matter all that much to the story; you could easily have picked somebody else than Chipzilla.
   Christian R. Conrad
Of course, who am I to point fingers? I'm in the "Information Technology" business, prima facia evidence that there's bats in the bell tower.
-- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=27764|Andrew Grygus]
New You have a point that the IBM story is dated.
Yes, it is a typical big corporation thing. The joke came from an old friend, whom I worked with (at IBM) when you were literally in diapers. :)
Alex

New Friend of yours in 1964 - 66?
Or howeverlong I wore diapers... (No "1974! No, _Eighty_-four!" replies, please! :-)

I'm not all *that* much younger than you; I just had to call you "Gramps" after your "back in *my* day, we didn't even have tree bark! Gravel to chew on, once a week, if we were lucky!" pissing contest with that other fossil, Ashton... :-)

You can see that, cantcha, how I really *had* to?
   Christian R. Conrad
Of course, who am I to point fingers? I'm in the "Information Technology" business, prima facia evidence that there's bats in the bell tower.
-- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=27764|Andrew Grygus]
New Re: Friend of yours in 1964 - 66?
Yep, I first met him in 1965. I have a son (eldest offspring) who is about a year older than you are. And, I really am a Grandpa with 3 grandchildren.
Alex

New Age levelling.
I love how this community is largely age-defiant and how so much of the conversation is age-neutral. :-)

IIRC, Rob Nelson in particular was tickled by this.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Yup, interesting aspect, that.
Then again, maybe it's just that we're not noticing how much of everyday off-line discussion *could* be "age-neutral" -- but just *isn't*, presumably because IRL, you'd _see_ each other's wrinkles or pimples, and then for some reason the discussion never gets started.

Sometimes, like when there just doesn't happen to be anyone of a more "appropriate" age around, it does happen anyway; ever had one of those long conversations, about pretty much anything, with a stranger on a train?

(Yeah, wonder why Rob, of all people, took delight in that... :-)
   Christian R. Conrad
     IBM story - (a6l6e6x) - (6)
         That's not only an IBM story, it's also an... - (CRConrad) - (5)
             You have a point that the IBM story is dated. - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
                 Friend of yours in 1964 - 66? - (CRConrad) - (3)
                     Re: Friend of yours in 1964 - 66? - (a6l6e6x)
                     Age levelling. - (static) - (1)
                         Yup, interesting aspect, that. - (CRConrad)

You getting this down?
88 ms