IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Still shifted.
I don't use Safari very often at all.

I may switch to Chrome because FireFox can be so freaking unstable at times. But probably never Safari.

What's interesting is that both Safari and Chrome use WebKit.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New I was thinking that last as well. Must be something subtle.
New I have done the div thing mvitale suggested.
Let me know if there's any difference.

Incidentally, to test it still worked, I reloaded the page in Safari without noticing it was set to full screen. Aside from the usual problems there was one area that crashed, with one item overlayed over another.

This was corrected by changing to a window. As I said before, if I move the margins closer together the formatting is correct. Ashton also noticed that the margin position had a significant effect.

New Quick thought: Possible font substitutions?
A colleague at work was having issues converting a Word document to PDF. The final document had to be no more than 3 pages, and in Word on the Mac with Preview it was getting converted to a 3 page plus one line PDF while on Word on the PC with Acrobat it was exactly 3 pages. There was some subtle difference between the line spacing in the two cases.

I know that font substitutions can also cause similar subtle issues.

Are the fonts exactly the same on the different browsers/platforms? Are the browsers doing any different substitutions?

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who understands that wrapping, etc., shouldn't care about the font, but I think it sometimes matters.)
New Re: Quick thought: Possible font substitutions?
I have changed the font on my OS/2 firefox (no problems). Otherwise, testing from the Windows XP machine Firefox, Internet Explorer, Chrome and Safari all are using whatever font they shipped with.

Incidentally, the rendering engine is at least part of the problem. While Chrome has been error free when the page is loaded in a window, I reloaded in full screen mode and Silver Pomfret was out of place, otherwise all correct, so margins matter there too, just not so much.
New Works.
And you mean that div thing that I suggested that Mike repeated... ;-)
Regards,
-scott
New It doesn't work for the other formatting problems though.
"<div> around Silver Pomfret and Chinese Silver Pomfret does not fix the failure to properly recognize the "<br clear='left'>"
New Not a fix, a replacement.
Regards,
-scott
     Hmmm . . . this is interesting: Safari and Chrome . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (40)
         What's really interesting... - (malraux) - (11)
             Thanks, I'll give that a try . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                 Different Scott... ;-) - (malraux) - (2)
                     Were you using a Mac? -NT - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                         Yes. -NT - (malraux)
             Timing issues, huh? - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                 Not just speed - (drook) - (5)
                     And there are quite a few of those on that page - (scoenye) - (4)
                         I've been over and over my nesting and closings . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                             Try the validator - (drook) - (2)
                                 Not so much unbalanced nesting - (scoenye)
                                 Yeah, a lot of values are not quoted . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         Typo - "North American. buyers" -NT - (Another Scott)
         Conclusion: Safari (Win) can't render W3C validated code. - (Andrew Grygus) - (26)
             Interesting.. - (Ashton)
             Re: Conclusion: Safari (Win) can't render W3C validated code - (mvitale)
             Still shifted. - (malraux) - (7)
                 I was thinking that last as well. Must be something subtle. -NT - (Another Scott)
                 I have done the div thing mvitale suggested. - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                     Quick thought: Possible font substitutions? - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         Re: Quick thought: Possible font substitutions? - (Andrew Grygus)
                     Works. - (malraux) - (2)
                         It doesn't work for the other formatting problems though. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                             Not a fix, a replacement. -NT - (malraux)
             weird issues - (SpiceWare) - (8)
                 Somebody updated it - (SpiceWare) - (7)
                     Yup, and a "reduced test case" . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                         Well, if you can't fix the problem, fix the spec :-( -NT - (hnick)
                         I can try to reduce it - (SpiceWare) - (4)
                             Oh, I can reduce it very easily, but . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                                 And here it is. - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                     On a Mac - (Ashton)
                                     Display at 1149 pixels wide... - (folkert)
             Just thought of something - (drook) - (5)
                 Yep. - (malraux)
                 Standard but deprecated - (scoenye)
                 I have specified doctype 4.1 transitional . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                     One way to consistently clear it... - (scoenye) - (1)
                         Re: "One way to consistently clear it... - (Andrew Grygus)
             "Web Browser v2.30.2" or Epiphany... - (folkert)

So less could be more, more could be less, and nothing could be most of all — sometimes.
78 ms