IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The ad thing was obviously doomed from the start
Everybody was going to sell stuff at cost or provide services for free and make it up in ad revenue, but most of the ad revenue was coming from other "new economy" enterprises doing the exact same thing. Bleeding money at a frightening rate, this scheme went the same way as all perpetual motion machines - just a lot faster.

The fact is, selling stuff on the Internet (in any substantial way) is more expensive than selling from stores. You still have to have the same back-end infrastructure for sales support, purchasing, customer service and distribution, plus the Internet infrastructure and integration costs, plus your cost for advertising is higher and returned merchandise and credit card fraud are way, way higher.

Quite frankly, if you aren't already running a successful store based or mail-order business, you're pretty much doomed. Even Amazon can't do it (a on-time accounting fluke does not a profitable business make).

This leaves service providers to find some way to pay their electric bill, and charging users, one way or another, is just about the only revenue source they'll be coming up with. Unfortunately, the users, accustomed to "everything Internet is free", are resistant. This will result in the demise of probably the majority of services until the user mindset adapts.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Nutshell/in/a
New Is credit card fraud higher?
I heard about a report a few years ago that had conclusive evidence that credit card fraud on the 'net is substantially lower than with traditional telephone mail order. But this was a few years ago... (a few seconds Googling suggests CC fraud has recently gotten some new legs on the 'net.)

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Yes
It is more difficult to know the source of a transaction and the expected time for clearance is so low not much checking can be done. A typical scam originates in Ukrania but with a U.S. credit card and it ships to a U.S. address. Right now 1 in 4 credit card transactions originating in Ukrania is fraud, and other former Soviet republics are close behind.

There is a new subscription service that tracks the origin of the transaction to allow better evaluation. Orders originating outside the U.S. but shipped to a U.S. address are highly suspect.

Considering the number of Web businesses that run on Microsoft IIS servers, the supply of credit card info for fraud is easy picking and essentially unlimited.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
     Kiss Hotmail goodbye - (marlowe) - (16)
         Bad thing? - (wharris2) - (1)
             No, they say spam is still being accepted . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         I never recommended HotMail. - (static) - (3)
             There have been many clues - (Ashton)
             For me, it has one use. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                 Read it or else - (orion)
         Kiss Yahoo goodbye too! - (orion) - (9)
             Face it - the end of free Internet anything is upon us. - (Andrew Grygus) - (8)
                 Didn't I already say that - (orion) - (1)
                     Me, the sage? - (orion)
                 I don't think it was entirely clear - (drewk) - (5)
                     The ad thing was obviously doomed from the start - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                         Nutshell/in/a -NT - (Ashton)
                         Is credit card fraud higher? - (static) - (1)
                             Yes - (Andrew Grygus)
                     TV-type ads can still work - (wharris2)

Like a flaming ant farm, only less organized.
134 ms