IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New That's stupid.
They get taxed the same on the 250K regardless of how much they work past that point.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New not really
if the bush tax cuts over 250k get repealed they are not interested in working like a dog because the takehome is less on hours/flights worked after they make the ceiling
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New So?
More work for other pilots. This is bad because ... ?
--

Drew
New dunno the answer to that. Less flights?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New Hmm
A highly compensated individual decides to stop killing himself because he's hit the $250 mark, kicks back and actually has an incentive to relax a bit. I don't want him flying anyway.

The airline will have to pick up some more pilots to compensate, or they'll have to drop flights, which might be a reasonable decision.

Other than the fact an unsafe unhappy pilot who makes more money than 9x% (not looking it up) is forced to relax, I don't see a downside.

I seem to recall a study that the magic number is $70,000. People get happier and happier up to $70K, ie: it is relative to the number and/or what it can buy for them. After $70K, the happiness level does not increase, at least in any close relation to the amount of money.

As far as I'm concern, they should cap them at $140K, cut their hours, and tell them to kick back. Hire more pilots and fund a training program.

Pilots are union. At least, mostly. That makes them interchangeable, and overpaid for the skillset. At least mostly. Not by much, mind you. They make critical life changing decisions all the time, for other people, unlike most of us. But $140K is not small, and almost everything they deal with is predetermined. Yes, their expertise is REQUIRED at certain times, but not usually. So give them less responsibilities, let them relax, and get more of them.
New Piloting is highly competitive.
I used to know a commercial pilot. Last time we talked about it, he was beginning to consider that he might have to change employers for the possibility of moving up in the ranks. There is just so little attrition up the top and the numbers of pilots the airlines employ is strongly based on how many flights they put on.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New So?
It is highly competitive because there are so few positions open (x amount of new planes hitting the air, VERY small), VS pilots coming out of the military who would kill for the chance to get paid to fly.

Once they are in, no competition, because it is based on seniority, right? Not like they have to work harder or better to be promoted, they just have to not panic in the emergencies and sit back and relax the rest of the time.

Occasionally, they have to train on a new plane.

I'm not feeling sorry for them. I certainly don't think this EXTREME outlier should be used as anecdotal evidence to convince people that $250K isn't the TOP of middle class.
New Correct.
Commercial Piloting is far from a typical employment for "middle-class".

Wade

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New Best inner-view I know of piloting
-- in a non-Pro pub:

Patrick Smith of Ask the Pilot, regularly on Salon.
His descriptions are lucid, his opinions are expressed with temperance -- and he probably Hates the same stuff any person now packaged as Spam-in-a-Can assuredly Does (Hate.)

He also has periodic sarcastic broadsides on the cluelessness and incompetence of msm 'reporting' on ... about any air-related incident -- some of that fluff is mind-boggling in the obvious ignorance of the reporter about anything related to flight, to airlines or their crews' jobs/expertise and such.

Maybe someday I'll fly again, but given present corporate and scaredy-cat/misplaced politico meddling ... it may be in a Cartercopter™ (and not a SpamCan with full Overide-the-Pilot-Windows-Vista-Egregious on board.)

(Sheesh.. had that been the Apollo 11 hard-wiring: it would have automatically disengaged the crew pod for a return to Mother, aborting seconds before touchdown ... because the fuel gauge was 'dangerously low' etc. etc.)

Heresy! - (Another Scott) - (12)
         anecdotal!=data - (boxley) - (11)
             Er... incremental tax rates? - (malraux) - (10)
                 right, so they wont work past the limits -NT - (boxley) - (9)
                     That's stupid. - (malraux) - (8)
                         not really - (boxley) - (7)
                             So? - (drook) - (1)
                                 dunno the answer to that. Less flights? -NT - (boxley)
                             Hmm - (crazy) - (4)
                                 Piloting is highly competitive. - (static) - (3)
                                     So? - (crazy) - (1)
                                         Correct. - (static)
                                     Best inner-view I know of piloting - (Ashton)

First documented case of homosexual necrophilia in the mallard duck species.
56 ms