IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Mother Nature FTW
They probably encountered a wave that was 120 to 130 feet tall and it snapped the boat in half like a pencil. They found the stern about 10 miles away from the bow.

[Re: tow surfing] There were horrific injuries, and horrific fatalities, but when you consider what they're doing, it seems to be working pretty well and pretty safely.

http://www.salon.com...n_casey_interview
--

Drew
New Huh
I remember hearing about the Derbyshire. I understand that it had to do with the many hours of wave action pulling the tops off the ventilators going into the bosun's locker in the foc'sle. This allowed water to slowly seep in, and when it hit the magic point the ship just nosedived. This is a particular feature of ore carriers (which is what the Derbyshire was) and is also relevantly similar to what happened to the Edmund Fitzgerald.
New This is the first I've heard of it
--

Drew
New Saw a program about it on Discovery
One of the big features was a bosun from a sister ship demonstrating how to secure certain kinds of hatches with ropes due to a design flaw; it meant that they couldn't blame the captain and crew for either incompetence or negligence leading to the sinking.

The nosedive bug/feature of ore carriers in particular is well known... they have the dubious distinction of literally sinking like a stone when they hit that magic point of negative bouyancy; they go from floating to completely submerged in less than ninety seconds.

Here's an interesting factoid for you; when the Edmund Fitzgerald sank, it went bow first. The bow plowed a five hundred yard long furrow along the bottom of the lake as the ship telescoped itself in before finally (literally) shattering. During that period, the stern was quite possibly still above water; the Edmund Fitzgerald was over 800 feet long while the water was only about five hundred feet deep.

Not that that would've helped anyone in the stern.
New I never thought of that
Lake Erie is exceptionally shallow for its size: max depth of 210 feet, average only 62 feet. http://www.epa.gov/glnpo/factsheet.html Just about any ore carrier would bottom out on a nosedive long before reaching 45 degrees.

Add in how quickly seas can build in a storm, and picture a 500+ foot ship pitching on 20-foot waves over a depth of 60 or 70 feet. No wonder so many ships have gone down there.

(Yes, I know the Fitz was on Superior. Just got me thinking about that happening on Erie.)
--

Drew
     Mother Nature FTW - (drook) - (4)
         Huh - (jake123) - (3)
             This is the first I've heard of it -NT - (drook) - (2)
                 Saw a program about it on Discovery - (jake123) - (1)
                     I never thought of that - (drook)

This land was green and good... until the Crystal cracked!
40 ms