IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It was a wow video, but:
I'm split on unions. Incredibly useful sometimes, incredibly damaging others, inevitably corrupt.

I loved the union wages I got when I worked in the bottling plant. I hung out, wasted about 50% of my time (as per the other workers, they'd kill me if I didn't), and basically did as little as possible. We easily inflated the costs of the soda by multiples. The reason sugar water is so expensive is a few things. Advertising, weight of shipping liquid, and unions.

On the other hand, my future brother-in-law was working on a truck 20 years ago. The driver loaded him up with enough cases to carry he destroyed his back. A lifetime of anguish is ahead of him. Without the union, I doubt very much the company would have covered the level of insurance that is taking care of him.

On the other other hand, look how this union guy reacted. It was far different than someone attempting to loudly defend/attack. He was thoughtful, and when he got caught, he didn't deny it. He thought about denying it, but he just couldn't. Some may say because he just said those things on tape, but we see assholes all the time backpedaling or attacking nonsensically, just to deflect. He didn't do any of that. He's smart enough to know he's in an impossible position. He's got my respect.

He knows even if he's got full (or almost full) employment, Walmart will eventually create a race to the bottom in the local economy, extracting out a portion as the corporate tariff, and leaving most other stores shuttered. This isn't a guess, it is the norm.

So he's got a battle on his hands, long term.
Expand Edited by crazy Sept. 22, 2010, 08:59:30 AM EDT
New cost of soda pop
Just dropped the daughter off at her college. She wanted soda for her room so we drove to the nearby grocery stores. Best price we could find was 2 twelve packs of Coke products ... on sale this week ... was $9. And you had to have the store's shopper card to get that price.

Tried to tell her to start enjoying powdered lemonade mix, cause she won't be able to knock back 1 - 2 cans of diet soda every day at that price. And the campus restaurants charge $2 to $2.50 per bottle of 20 oz soda. We get them for $1 every day.

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from."

-- E.L. Doctorow
     I was flabbergasted when I saw this last night. - (Another Scott) - (7)
         Yeah, well.. when you start eating your own workers - (Ashton)
         Well your reaction.. - (beepster) - (3)
             No, I blame ACORN. -NT - (Another Scott)
             It was a wow video, but: - (crazy) - (1)
                 cost of soda pop - (lincoln)
         "That's the one where I nail you." Perfect setup -NT - (drook)
         pay is the same as acorn - (boxley)

And monkeys could fly out of my butt.
36 ms