IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Where did you offer any solutions?
Note that I'm not asking you for any, or expecting any from you. But you don't seem to think I want any.

Sure I'd like a solution. My whole point when I started this thread was that I've spent a bunch of time looking for a solution, and found instead all the reasons why I'm not going to get it. And those reasons annoy me.

Right now it looks like the best solution is to find a Mac that can handle AVCHD. I knew when I started that I could always throw money and new hardware at the problem, but I'm trying not to do that.
--

Drew
New Maybe you simply posted in the wrong forum. :-)
I mean, if you'd started this thread in "Flame On" then the direction it took wouldn't have been a surprise.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New What about this?
http://cinelerra.org/

Sure, understanding today's complex world of the future is a little like having bees live in your head. But...there they are.
New He has looked at it and tried to use it.
Its gotta lotta deficiencies. Plus the learning curve is great.

I agree. But its the closest he'll get for free.
New On deficiencies
http://renomath.org/ejolson/video/avchd/
The creation of the high definition mpeg2 files from AVCHD source runs at about 15 frames per second on my computer. This means transcoding AVCHD to a format Cinelerra can edit is slower than capturing HDV from tape. AVCHD source can be losslessly authored to BD5 with reencoding necessary only for rendered effects and transitions. Therefore a workflow with essentially zero transcoding is possible. See Lossless AVCHD Editing in Linux for more information about such a workflow.

So what about that lossless editing?

http://renomath.org/...chd/lossless.html
Do not use any transitions or filters. For transitions and filters refer to Editing AVCHD with Cinelerra. [AKA: recursion: see recursion]

This might be changing though:
"I've been working like hell on patching Cinelerra," he told me, as well as using other tools, such as Blender. Montgomery sees one of his short-term goals as getting the overall quality of FOSS video tools improved, while he tackles his more forward-reaching goal: opening up the untamed frontier of video development.

http://www.itworld.c...r-despite-mpeg-la

This is a great development, but the timeline doesn't help me any. Maybe it will pay off in time for the next upgrade.
--

Drew
New Or you could have found a bunch of other people
to fund the change.

I wasn't kidding. I simply don't know if it is worth the effort to you, or if it is possible. I like to see people pay open source developers for specific features.
New Working on that
Well, working on other people to fund things, anyway. Of course, I'm just looking for people to fund me to get the hardware I need.
--

Drew
     Can I take this opportunity to point out ... - (drook) - (46)
         Well, Linux developers develop for . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             yeah, we have a pool to see when 3par suckage starts :-) -NT - (boxley)
         Well here is my attempt to SOAPBOX. - (folkert) - (39)
             Gah. - (malraux) - (10)
                 Let me tell you about my $4000 486... ;-) -NT - (Another Scott) - (9)
                     Mine was $2184... - (folkert) - (6)
                         486/66 EISA/SCSI. 6 months later it was $1000 less... -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                             1992 - (malraux) - (1)
                                 Ah, the good old days! :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                         I remember the first time I saw 500M hard drive - (drook)
                         Hey, I can play this game - (jake123) - (1)
                             I could too, though I'm not sure I really want to. - (static)
                     /hand waves and my $700 esdi drives! -NT - (boxley)
                     Mine was $5K - (crazy)
             Would a Mac desktop be cheaper? - (drook) - (27)
                 On Mac Hardware... - (folkert)
                 Depends on what you want to do. - (Another Scott) - (25)
                     And AVCHD is what I'm looking for - (drook) - (24)
                         Well then... - (folkert)
                         Apple claims FCE4 will do it on an Intel Mac. - (Another Scott) - (22)
                             Yeah, I'll be looking - (drook)
                             probably can however - (boxley) - (20)
                                 I should find a Video Toaster and a Betacam -NT - (drook) - (19)
                                     Or - (crazy) - (18)
                                         Heh, yeah I know - (drook) - (17)
                                             Have you been taking misdirection lessons - (crazy) - (16)
                                                 Somebody's been taking grumpy pills - (drook) - (15)
                                                     grumpy pills? - (crazy) - (14)
                                                         You're more self-aware than the people I'm talking about - (drook) - (13)
                                                             No-one is more certain than . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                                                             Have you stopped to consider... - (mvitale) - (1)
                                                                 No, that had never occurred to me -NT - (drook)
                                                             On the MS side - (crazy) - (9)
                                                                 "Pick your poison" - (drook) - (8)
                                                                     Got it - (crazy) - (7)
                                                                         Where did you offer any solutions? - (drook) - (6)
                                                                             Maybe you simply posted in the wrong forum. :-) - (static)
                                                                             What about this? - (beepster) - (2)
                                                                                 He has looked at it and tried to use it. - (folkert) - (1)
                                                                                     On deficiencies - (drook)
                                                                             Or you could have found a bunch of other people - (crazy) - (1)
                                                                                 Working on that - (drook)
         Here is the Movie Maker you're describing... - (rickw) - (3)
             He found a decent NLVE for Linux... - (folkert)
             I think I already installed that - (drook) - (1)
                 You might want to keep an eye on iMovie. - (Another Scott)

...and the President was unfortunately subjected to public opinion.
148 ms