IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Heap size upped...
Other tweakies tweaked.

The main issue with this VM is that it has only 512M of RAM.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Good enough.
I figured it was Tomcat needing more resources.

I'm shutting down a VM tomorrow that runs a Tomcat App server. I'm glad to be done with it.
New You'd think the default VM size would be more sensible.
We've just started rebuilding one of our sites in a clean structure with Spring MVC. The default JVM settings on my dev box worked so I left it. Now I've got three DAOs and three controllers: and it keeps running out of memory! WTF? So I found the correct parameter to up the heap size.

But if the JVM runs out of memory with an almost empty Spring MVC setup, then IMO the built-in default is way too low.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New It's even better than that.
The default size is 64M, but the Linux install of Tomcat bumps that up to 128M, which was still too small.

In IWETHEY's case, the memory all goes to caching.
Regards,
-scott
New minimum should be 2048 for a vm to get above crawl speed
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New Disagree.
Most applications max recommended at 1G for garbage collection purposes.

We have an app that never goes above 80M here.
Regards,
-scott
New Must be something of...
An anomaly to have some apps only get to 80M.

Nearly every java app I've seen that is in anyway flexible and complex... due to many factors and re-writes by people that don't quite know how to read other people's code properly and re-factor things to think about reuse and GC...

Well, running a 64bit Java on a 64bit machine and some scary tweaks... we have a machine with 16GB of memory and it *STILL* regularly dumps on using the whole damn thing. They aren't using Tomcat either, they do everything themselves, some poorly.
New duh moment here
I read VM and didnt co-rrelate you were talking about a Java VM :-) I was thinking of a KVM slice
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New 512M VM slice
I just tamped the Java VM down to 256M because it was well into swap.

I can get more RAM on the instance, but it's more money, of course. We'll see how it goes.
Regards,
-scott
     Ummm hmmm... problems on the other boxen... - (folkert) - (11)
         ya broke it greg - (boxley)
         Heap size upped... - (malraux) - (8)
             Good enough. - (folkert)
             You'd think the default VM size would be more sensible. - (static) - (1)
                 It's even better than that. - (malraux)
             minimum should be 2048 for a vm to get above crawl speed -NT - (boxley) - (4)
                 Disagree. - (malraux) - (3)
                     Must be something of... - (folkert)
                     duh moment here - (boxley) - (1)
                         512M VM slice - (malraux)
         Wow... I guess I'm a borkeded it up ... - (folkert)

Ohh... they're still working.
86 ms