IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New AD seen from the amateur viewpoint
I was directed to an (otherwise) exc. book on "Windows 2000 Management" from O'Reilly. This massive tome was AT LEAST 2X as large for.. virtually every other reference to "doing something" possessing an exception.. or a correction or alteration IF..

You Poor Fucking Sap...

You had to deal with AD! And I am not exaggerating the plethora of AD refs for even the simplest 'management' of this bloated all-in-One POS.

A quote from the AUTHOR on page 127:

An alternative approach is to upgrade your member server first, then take a year off and learn in detail how Active Directory works, and finally upgrade your PDC followed by your BDCs. A lot of admins seem to favor this approach!
..and this by someone who Likes W2K, or at least pretends to, in the book.

(Fortunately re this standalone, not-web-connected local server - other than periodic reboots when it eats itself from whatever remain of mem. leaks and internal masturbation: I've not needed to actually Change anything. As to *their backups* [??] of RAID on this massive prof. Cpq. ProLiant box which whines laike a Banshee - don't ask..)

Boy am I unsuited for *this* kind of techno-fascist 'world'.

Ashton
New I'm actually looking forward to it.
Lately I feel as if I've been stagnating in my tech skills. AD may be the gift of Satan, but it is still something "new" to me. I think the reason this fell into my lap is that I am the only person on staff who has had any actual training in it. The training was long enough ago and my use of W2K/AD has been minimal enough that I really am starting almost fresh. Gaining knowledge is IMO always a good thing.
The best scale for an experimental design is ten millimeters to the centimeter.
New Yeah I feel that way too sometimes..
Like when I get a Tektronix 485 (scope), a masterpiece of workmanship and clever ideas like - the virtually indestructible = fail-safe switching PS. Yes, it Will 'save itself' via crowbarring softly when load exceeds spec But..

It 'chirps'! = repeated restarts/shutdowns when any one of Several parallel loads is gollywampus {sigh} One Potato(e for some Pols) at a Time. SO then you look for the old electrolytic cap whose ESR has gone sky high.. somewhere in there. There's gotta be a better way to find The One, and if I were clever enough..

(Like.. why? didn't they just put some LEDs dynamically sensing current OL, so they'd flash in the Right place.. what could it have cost?)

Now with el-cheapo \ufffd-dreck - ya just trash that $7 puppy which powers the $500 processor + MB yada yada. Hmmm maybe Excellent isn't always about quality alone, but R&R.. but I digress.

bitch bitch

If you're really gonna learn All about AD.. that's *SCARY*
     I plumb the depths of ziwethey for advice - (Silverlock) - (9)
         Security... - (kmself)
         Ick! - (wharris2) - (4)
             By "policies", I meant the ones inside usermanager. -NT - (Silverlock)
             AD seen from the amateur viewpoint - (Ashton) - (2)
                 I'm actually looking forward to it. - (Silverlock) - (1)
                     Yeah I feel that way too sometimes.. - (Ashton)
         First off.... - (folkert) - (2)
             Thanks - (Silverlock) - (1)
                 Your welcome... Plus lotsa other stuff... plus a Juicy RUMOR - (folkert)