IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Fraid not. Will post log info later,
... when I dont have to enter it all in via the Dreamcast joystick...!
On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
New Sorry to hear that, keep us posted.
Tom Sinclair
"Subverting Young Minds Since 03/13/2000"
New Well, I *had* a plan....
Had being the operative word. Intended to back up stuff onto my main PC, then just blat the whole thing and re-install from scratch.

Then last night when I finally set my PC up, the primary hard drive gave the click of death, followed by whirr of death, the jiggy-jiggy-jiggy of death, and the ever popular tick-tick scrabble buzz WHACK WHACK WHACK of I'm-not-feeling-terribly-well. If not death.

So, technology is not my friend at the moment. I half expect the fridge to explode if I so much as look at it sideways.
On and on and on and on,
New know how you feel
Just got my imac back after the kids smunched the cdrom. After 2 weeks part comes and shop puts it in. I reload the OS. Re-reload the OS's when I figgered out how to partition the disk. Add the users. My 13yo son goes Can I listen to my cd's? I said the box is not quit setup to my satisfaction. Okay son but be careful. He listens to one cd. Ejects, places another cd in the caddy. AAAARHHGHHGHGHGHG the fscking thing doesnt know it has a cd again!!!!!!!!!! sigh only another month before the dam thing works again.:(
thanx,
bill

TAM ARIS QUAM ARMIPOTENS
New Grim! Buy a CD walkman in the meantime :)
On and on and on and on,
New I now realize...
That I am the only person here that actually uses *NIX boxes much, much, much more, than I thought before.

I use it:
at home
at work
at play

At work it IS my Primary desktop, has been for a few years. At home I use it cept for Gaming(and Browsing lately). At play (or side work as some call it)... I cram it down peoples/companies throat until they discover it doesn't taste so bad and actually start to enjoy it capabilities.

Linux/*BSD just work. Work well enough I can breeze through most installations and configurations and recoveries without batting an eye. Haven't lost data to server crashes in about 5 years. Maybe access to said data for a while, but not lost.

Had some "supposed" lost data, but the user could not find anything that was lost. I made some smart remarks about that customer under my breath and got a reprimand, but to this day they still haven't discovered anything lost. They just assumed stuff was lost when they had problems connecting the next morning, when I forgot to restart the IP Interface. I even heard they did an audit, 100% passage. I never got a "we were sorry, we made a mistake calling you out on the carpet" The reprimand was recinded anway, and the pay I got docked was also re-instated. (happened in December.. remember the early morning Phone call, Karsten?) I was dressing down a Vendor about poor quality/performance of thier systems. Mainly cause thier system was the offending system causing me grief.

Oh well, Now I guess I wandered off the subject I was really gonna do here... so here goes:

Now, why in the world does everyone still insist on using OSes that don't have good modus-operandi?

I have been hearing scuttle-butt that Darwin is replaceable with Linux for PPC keeping Aqua and all the other stuff. Plus you get a real OS underneath. Now I am not saying OS-X ain't bad just difficult. Wonder if it really does indeed work.

I have no Apples to play with right now, but HEY I wanna play. I'll see what I can do later once I get a older one piece G3 that is supposed to show up on my desktop later this week or early next.

greg, curley95@attbi.com -- REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!
In 2002, everyone will discover that everyone else is using linux. ** Linux: Good, fast AND cheap. ** Failure is not an option: It comes bundled with Windows. ** "Two rules to success in life: 1. Don't tell people everything you know." - Sassan Tat
New For older G3s I recommend Yellow Dog

Reasonable install and plenty of software goodies.

LinuxPPC hasn't progressed past Q42000.

Tom Sinclair
"Subverting Young Minds Since 03/13/2000"

"Did I hear things, or can that little dog speak?" said Dibbler.
"He says he can't," said Victor. Dibbler hesitated.
"Well," he said, "I suppose he should know."
-- Dibbler meets Gaspode the Wonder Dog
(Terry Pratchett, Moving Pictures)
New its the hardware, not the software
The problem is the cdrom in an imac is an Apple product and they wont let the general public buy them. If the caddy insert doenst tickle the heads the OS doesnt know there is a cd in there. Same thing would happen with linux, unix or dos.
thanx,
bill
TAM ARIS QUAM ARMIPOTENS
     OK, so I'm having upgrade angst again... - (Meerkat) - (12)
         Mmmm...have you tried fsck yet? - (tjsinclair) - (11)
             Cmd-S! Thanks! - (Meerkat) - (10)
                 An Update - (Meerkat) - (9)
                     Did fsck help? -NT - (tjsinclair) - (8)
                         Fraid not. Will post log info later, - (Meerkat) - (7)
                             Sorry to hear that, keep us posted. -NT - (tjsinclair) - (6)
                                 Well, I *had* a plan.... - (Meerkat) - (5)
                                     know how you feel - (boxley) - (4)
                                         Grim! Buy a CD walkman in the meantime :) -NT - (Meerkat)
                                         I now realize... - (folkert) - (2)
                                             For older G3s I recommend Yellow Dog - (tjsinclair)
                                             its the hardware, not the software - (boxley)

It's smarter than you think.
74 ms